This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mathew William Kearney (//; born December 1, 1978) is an American musician born in Eugene, Oregon, now based in Nashville, Tennessee. Kearney has received critical acclaim and widespread recognition for his Columbia Records debut, Nothing Left to Lose. So far, he has a total of 5 top 20 hits on the Adult Top 40 Chart.
December 1, 1978 |
Eugene, Oregon, United States
|Origin||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||Rock, folk, CCM, hip hop|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano, harmonica, CP70, mandolin, synthesizer, vibraphone|
|Labels||InPop, Columbia, Aware, Universal Republic|
|Associated acts||Tyler Burkum, Trent Dabbs|
He attended California State University, Chico in Chico, California on an athletic scholarship and majored in literature, playing soccer until his junior year. Kearney first became interested in music after traveling to Nashville with music producer Robert Marvin. Using a roommate's guitar, he tried covering songs by other artists, but realized he was not very good at it, and began writing his own. Though things were going well for Kearney at school, the partying atmosphere at Chico caught up to him. In an interview, Kearney said, "I guess I lived it up and did what everyone said you should do in college. I discovered the depth of depravity, the bleakness of that lifestyle. It just wasn't working. I finally started understanding there must be more to life."
Kearney began focusing on music fusing his simple guitar playing with spoken word or rap. He started to play at coffee shops and soon began to make small amounts of money. At this time, Kearney had met friend and future producer, Robert Marvin. The two began to make music together, but Marvin had plans to move to Nashville, Tennessee. Marvin asked Kearney to help with the move and he accepted. Kearney says, "I helped him pack up his trailer and we put a mattress on the back of his truck. We basically drove cross-country and slept in the back. When we pulled into Nashville we slept in a school parking lot for three days until we finally rented this apartment where the roof was caving in and mice were crawling all over." Kearney decided to stay in Nashville to record a few demos with Marvin and after a few months, Kearney had no plans on returning. "By the end of the summer, we had three or four songs and I realized this is what I wanted to do. It just clicked. So I called home to Oregon and said, 'I'm not coming back' and I never left Nashville."
2005–07: Nothing Left to LoseEdit
On April 18, 2006, Kearney's second album and major-label debut, titled Nothing Left to Lose, was released. It contains several reworked songs from Kearney's first album Bullet, as well as some new material, and has sold over 450,000 copies to date. The title track "Nothing Left to Lose" was the first single from the album, peaking at No. 41 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of February 10, 2007. The single has sold over 500,000 copies and won numerous BMI awards.[specify] The track "All I Need" was featured on Grey's Anatomy and NCIS and began to chart on iTunes top 100 downloaded songs. It peaked at No. 94 on the Billboard Pop 100.
To promote Nothing Left to Lose, Kearney toured with John Mayer, Sheryl Crow, Train, Mutemath, Meiko, and Cary Brothers throughout 2005, '06, and '07; he also headlined VH1's first ever "You Oughta Know Tour" in the spring of 2007.
2008–09: City of Black & WhiteEdit
Kearney's following album, City of Black & White, was released through Columbia Records on May 19, 2009. He collaborated with Nashville artists such as Trent Dabbs, Matthew Perryman Jones, Kate York, Paul Moak, Daniel James, Will Sayles, and Josiah Bell. Robert Marvin (tobyMac, Britt Nicole), the producer of Kearney's previous albums and EPs, joined him yet again. The lead single was "Closer To Love", and it received much airplay, on both secular and Christian outlets. His second single is "All I Have", the last song he wrote before releasing the album.
In May 2009, Kearney toured with Keane and The Helio Sequence for several weeks to promote City of Black & White. It debuted on the Billboard 200 at No. 13. He most recently toured with Owl City and Unwed Sailor on Owl City's "All Things Bright and Beautiful Tour".
2010–11: Young LoveEdit
On August 2, 2011, Kearney's fourth album Young Love was released . The album's first single, "Hey Mama", was released on May 10, 2011. "Hey Mama" charted in the Top 40 of Adult Pop Songs at No. 22. The second single "Down" charted as high as No. 23 on the Christian Songs chart.
2014–15: Just KidsEdit
Kearney's fifth album, Just Kids, was released on February 24, 2015. The album's first single, "Heartbeat", was released on November 4, 2014. He toured with both Judah and the Lion and Parachute during his "Just Kids" tour in 2015.
2016–present: Tour de CompadresEdit
From August 17, 2016 – November 12, 2016, Kearney toured with Needtobreathe for their second annual Tour de Compadres, where he performed songs from his albums Nothing Left to Lose, Young Love, and Just Kids.
Featured in the mediaEdit
Kearney's songs have appeared on the following television series: 30 Rock, Awake, Dirty Sexy Money, Kyle XY, The Unit, Without a Trace, Laguna Beach, The Hills, Bones, Jericho, Friday Night Lights, Wildfire, What About Brian, South Beach, 8th & Ocean, One Tree Hill, Scrubs, The Closer, NCIS, Life Unexpected, Grey's Anatomy, Parenthood, So You Think You Can Dance, The Vampire Diaries and A to Z. His song "Runaway" is featured on the Soul Surfer movie soundtrack. Kearney's song "Sooner or Later" provides the background music to the WWDC 2013 and Google's Zeitgeist 2011: Year in Review video, which was uploaded to YouTube on December 14, 2011. He was also on The Today Show performing the song "Billion".
Kearney has stated that his legal name is Mathew due to a nurse's error on his birth certificate. He discovered the error while in the 8th grade when he noticed how his mom corrected the error with red ink, never legally correcting it. Since then, he embraced the one "T" in his legal name.
On January 4, 2017, Kearney and his wife had their first child, a girl named Olive Sims Kearney.
Kearney, based on the lyrics of many of his songs, is a practicing Christian. Songs that have Christian lyrics include "Air I Breathe", "Girl America", and "Closer To Love".
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|US||US Christian||US Digital||US Heat||US Rock||CAN|
|Nothing Left to Lose||109||4||17||2||—||—||
|City of Black & White||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Revive Us – EP (2002)
- West in November – EP (2003)
- The Chicago EP – EP (2005)
- Nothing Left to Lose Acoustic EP – EP (2006)
- Rhapsody Originals (Live) – EP Digital-Only (February 20, 2007)
- NapsterLive (Live) – EP Digital-Only (March 13, 2007)
- iTunes Exclusive Acoustic EP – EP Digital-Only (April 17, 2007)
- iTunes Exclusive Live Session EP – EP Digital-Only (2009)
- For The Resilient Hearts, Ado - Daytrotter Sessions EP Digital-Only (2009)
- Black Swan Shadow (2010)
- Nightish Hearts of the Cold Rains - Daytrotter Sessions EP Digital-Only (2011)
- Mat Kearney: Live at The Fillmore, San Francisco (2010)
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|2006||"Nothing Left to Lose"||41||7||—||36||
||Nothing Left to Lose|
|"All I Need"||—||—||—||—|
|2007||"Breathe In, Breathe Out"||—||18||—||—|
|2009||"Closer to Love"||91||12||7||—||
||City of Black & White|
|"All I Have"||—||—||—||—|
|2010||"Head or Your Heart"||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"Edge of the World (A Children's Song)"||—||—||—||—|
|2011||"Hey Mama"||—||18||—||—||Young Love|
|"Ships in the Night"||87||22||10||—||
|"Air I Breathe"||—||33||8||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
GMA Dove AwardsEdit
|2006||New Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|Rap/Hip-Hop Recorded Song of the Year ("Trainwreck")||Won|
|2007||Male Vocalist of the Year||Nominated|
|Song of the Year ("Nothing Left to Lose")||Nominated|
|Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (Nothing Left To Lose)||Nominated|
- Last Call with Carson Daly (April 21, 2006)
- WB Morning Show – "Nothing Left to Lose" (August 30, 2006)
- Late Night with Conan O'Brien – "Nothing Left to Lose" (November 9, 2006)
- Late Show with David Letterman – "Nothing Left to Lose" (January 19, 2007)
- VSpot Top 20 Countdown (January 21, 2007)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – "Nothing Left to Lose" (February 8, 2007)
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show – "Nothing Left to Lose" (March 21, 2007)
- CBS Saturday – "Nothing Left to Lose" (March 2007)
- VSpot Top 20 Countdown (March 2007)
- A&E's Breakfast with the Arts – (November 15, 2006)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – "Undeniable" (August 29, 2007)
- The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien – "Closer to Love" (July 22, 2009)
- Ramona and Beezus - "Edge of the World" (2010)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno – "Hey Mama" (August 2, 2011)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - "Ships in the Night" (2012)
- Jimmy Kimmel Live – "Hey Mama" and "Ships in the Night" (2012)
- The Today Show - "Billion" (2015)
- Mat Kearney – vocals, guitar, piano
- Chad Kinner – drums, percussion (2011–present)
- Fred Williams – piano, keys
- Adam Keafer – bass (2010–2015)
- Nathan Spicer – guitar (2010–present)
- Tyler Burkum - guitar, vocals (2009–present)
- Phil Moore - bass (2015–present)
- Jeremy Lutito - drums (2009–2012)
- Anonymous. "Sims-Kearney vows planned in Tennessee " Engagements " starherald.net - Kosciusko, MS". starherald.net. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- Kuchik, Natalie (October 29, 2014). "Mat Kearney to release new single 'Heartbeat' on November 4 - AXS". AXS. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Mat Kearney| Singer, Songwriter| Christian Music Artist |". One21music.com. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- Lamberson, Carolyn (October 27, 2005). "Hometown boy takes an unlikely path to Nashville". Eugene Register-Guard. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Mat Kearney". CBNmusic.com. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- "Mat Kearney". Mat Kearney. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Mat Kearney". Mat Kearney. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Mat Kearney". Twitter.com. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Home". TOUR DE COMPADRES 2016. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "ACCLAIMED SINGER/SONGWRITER MAT KEARNEY SIGNS TO BIG LOUD MOUNTAIN MANAGEMENT". Mat Kearney. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "FILOUS - GOODBYE (FT. MAT KEARNEY)". BEAUTIFUL BUZZZ. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "Zeitgeist 2011: Year in Review". YouTube. December 14, 2011. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Mat & Annie Kearney Welcome Baby Girl into the World". Mat Kearney. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "Upcoming Releases". Hits Daily Double. HITS Digital Ventures. Archived from the original on February 11, 2015.
- "Mat Kearney - Chart history - Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Mat Kearney - Chart history - Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Mat Kearney - Chart history - Christian Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Mat Kearney - Chart history - Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 11, 2013.