Martin Ferguson (footballer)
Martin Murphy Ferguson (born 21 December 1942) is a Scottish former football player, manager and scout and current vice chairman of Airdrieonians. Ferguson is the brother of former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson. He was Manchester United's chief European scout, and as such he was often sent to scout players in mainland Europe.
|Full name||Martin Murphy Ferguson|
|Date of birth||21 December 1942|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Playing position||Inside forward|
|?–1962||Kirkintilloch Rob Roy|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Ferguson began his playing career at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy where he was capped for Scotland at Junior level before stepping up to Partick Thistle in 1962. He went on to Morton then a brief spell in the Football League during the mid-1960s.
He was appointed player-coach at Waterford in July 1967. He made his Blues debut in Peter Fitzgerald's testimonial in August 1967. His first league goal came in the dying seconds of a home clash with Shamrock Rovers on 19 November which led to Ferguson being chaired off the pitch. He was let go in February 1968.
He then worked as a coach at Hibernian, but was sacked in 1997. He was signed by Manchester United on the recommendation of his brother Alex, and he scouted players such as Diego Forlán, Anderson, Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Nesta and Ruud van Nistelrooy. Ferguson retired from his position as chief scout for Manchester United in May 2013.
- "Martin Murphy Ferguson Record vs Heart of Midlothian". London Hearts Supporters Club. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Martin Ferguson". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Manson, George (31 March 1962). "Dream Comes True". Evening Times. Google News Archive. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- . Irish Times. 28 July 1967. p. 4.
- . Irish Times. 20 November 1967. p. 4.
- . Irish Times. 2 February 1968. p. 3.
- Greenslade, Nick (2 July 2006). "Troublesome brothers". July's ten. London: Guardian Unlimited. Retrieved 18 August 2007.
- "Man Utd chief scout checks on Porto's Anderson". TribalFootball.com. 15 May 2007. Archived from the original on 9 August 2007. Retrieved 18 August 2007.
- Brennan, Stuart (15 June 2007). "Barca offer Eidur as Pique bait". Manchester United. Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 18 August 2007.
- "Man Utd renew Nesta interest". BBC Sport. 9 March 2002. Retrieved 21 August 2007.
- McCarra, Kevin (25 November 2002). "Van Nistelrooy helps United capitalise on their reserves". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 18 August 2007.
- "Martin Ferguson confirms he's retiring as Man Utd chief scout | Transfers". Tribal Football.
- "Club Statement". Airdrieonians F.C. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Martin Ferguson at Post War English & Scottish Football League A–Z Player's Database