Marnitz Louis Boshoff (born 11 January 1989) is a South African rugby union player who usually plays as a fly-half or fullback. He plays for the Bulls in Super Rugby, the Blue Bulls in the Currie Cup and the Blue Bulls XV in the Rugby Challenge, having previously played for South African provincial sides Griquas, the Blue Bulls and the Golden Lions in the Currie Cup and for Super Rugby side the Lions. He also had a short stint with Irish provincial side Connacht in the Pro14.
|Full name||Marnitz Louis Boshoff|
|Date of birth||11 January 1989|
|Place of birth||Nelspruit, South Africa|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (13 st 10 lb; 192 lb)|
|University||University of Pretoria|
|Rugby union career|
Born in Nelspruit in the Mpumalanga province of South Africa, Boshoff is a graduate of Nelspruit Hoërskool and attended the University of Pretoria. He was part of the youth team of Nelspruit-based side the Pumas from 2005 to 2007, before joining the academy of the Pretoria-based Blue Bulls.
Boshoff first played at provincial level for the Blue Bulls, playing for them from 2009 to 2011 after coming through their youth side. During his time with the Blue Bulls, he played 24 times, scoring 130 points.
In 2012, Boshoff moved to the Griquas. He spent one year there, making 13 appearances and scoring 37 points.
Golden Lions / LionsEdit
After a season that saw him finish as the top points scorer for the Golden Lions in the 2013 Currie Cup Premier Division, he was then included in the Lions squad for the 2014 Super Rugby season and made his Super Rugby debut in a man-of-the-match performance in the opening match of the season, scoring all the Lions' points – including a last-minute drop goal – to help them beat the Cheetahs 21–20 in Bloemfontein.
He was the Golden Lions' first-choice fly-half during the 2014 and 2015 Currie Cup competitions, with the Lions reaching the final both times and winning the trophy in 2015, with Boshoff again finishing as the top points scorer.
In May 2014, Boshoff was one of eight uncapped players that were called up to a Springbok training camp prior to the 2014 mid-year rugby union tests. Although not initially selected in the 36-man squad, Boshoff was called up to the squad when Damian de Allende suffered a knee ligament injury. He played off the bench against Scotland and scored his first points by converting a try.
- "Boshoff granted early release by Connacht" (Press release). Planet Rugby. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Lions announce more signings". Supersport. 10 Oct 2012. Retrieved 10 Oct 2012.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Southern Kings 19-26 MTN Lions". South African Rugby Union. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – MTN Lions 18-23 Southern Kings". South African Rugby Union. 3 August 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "2014 Lions Super Rugby squad" (Press release). Lions. 11 February 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Match Centre: Cheetahs v Lions". SANZAR. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Toyota Cheetahs 20-21 Lions". South African Rugby Union. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Connacht sign Springbok outhalf Marnitz Boshoff" (Press release). Connacht Rugby. 14 March 2016. Archived from the original on 14 March 2016. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Springbok training squad for Durban camp named". South African Rugby Union. 19 May 2014. Archived from the original on 6 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Seven uncapped players in Springbok squad". South African Rugby Union. 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Springboks suffer De Allende injury setback". South African Rugby Union. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.