This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Markus Lupfer is a German fashion designer and founder of the eponymous company based in London, United Kingdom. He is best known for his statement knitwear designs and sequinned lip-motif appliqués.
Life and careerEdit
Lupfer was born in the south of Germany. After attending University in Trier he moved to the UK to study fashion design at London's University of Westminster whose alumni includes other well-known designers such as Vivienne Westwood and Burberry's former chief executive officer Christopher Bailey. After graduating from Westminster in 1997 with a first-class honours degree his final year collection was bought by Koh Samui, a London-based boutique, and was sold within two weeks. In 1999, Lupfer makes his prêt-à-porter London Fashion Week debut. Markus Lupfer is particularly known for his unique statement knitwear designs and sequinned lip-motif appliqués. Vogue.com's Chief Fashion Critic Sarah Mower describes his approach to sequinned embroidery as “very clever in making his sequinned sweaters an item with a bit of a cult following that draws followers from a really surprisingly broad customer-base. They strike such a great balance between easy and dressed-up and witty and smart – pieces to make people from teenagers to grown ups smile and feel good in it almost anywhere“.
Markus Lupfer is sold in many of the most exclusive retailers worldwide, including Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Net-A-Porter, IT Hong Kong, Le Bon Marche Paris, Isetan, Hanwha Galleria, Shopbop, and Tsum and launched an ecommerce store in 2014.
Markus Lupfer won his first award, the British Fashion Council's New Generation Award, in 2001 shortly after leaving university. In 2008, Lupfer received the Best Designer of the Year-Award at the Prix de la Mode Awards in Spain and two years later, in 2010, became the International Designer of the Year at the Scottish Fashion Awards.
Lupfer's designs have been worn by celebrities such as Rihanna, Madonna, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Lopez and Katy Perry to Olivia Palermo, Ellie Bamber, Maisie Williams, Cara Delevingne, Elle Macpherson, Salma Hayek, and Claudia Schiffer. In addition, the Duchess of Cambridge has worn the brand during her Royal Tour to Germany in 2017.
- Schipp, Anke. "Statement Sweater: Vom Langweiler zum Bestseller". Faz.net. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Roth, Anna-Lena (15 September 2014). "Deutscher Designer in London: "Warum werden Sie so gern kopiert, Herr Lupfer?"". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Swash, Rosie (4 July 2011). "Q&A: Markus Lupfer discusses his fashion mockumentary". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Westminster BA Fashion students show at London Fashion Week". Westminster.ac.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Shurvell, Joanne. "Six Highlights From London Fashion Week Spring Summer 2018". Forbes.com. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Holt, Bethan (20 July 2017). "The Duchess of Cambridge masters cocktail glamour on her final night in Germany". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanneshurvell/2017/09/30/six-highlights-from-london-fashion-week-spring-summer-2018/#14089138283e http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/leute/fashion-week-london-modedesigner-markus-lupfer-ueber-plagiate-a-991351.html https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/duchess-cambridge-does-fashion-diplomacy-markus-lupfer-germany/