Markéta Irglová (Czech pronunciation: [ˈmarkɛːta ˈɪrɡlovaː]) (born February 28, 1988) is a Czech singer-songwriter, musician and actress, known for starring in the film Once, which earned her a number of major awards, including the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly", with co-writer and co-star Glen Hansard.
|Born||February 28, 1988|
Valašské Meziříčí, Czechoslovakia
Irglová began taking piano lessons at age 7 and began playing the guitar at age 8.
Irglová was a member of the band The Swell Season with Glen Hansard. The band released its eponymous album on Overcoat Recordings in 2006. In 2007, Irglová co-starred in the indie film Once. Irglová co-wrote many of the songs for the film including "Falling Slowly", which received an Academy Award for Best Original Song. The film won the World Cinema Audience Award for a dramatic film at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. Irglová appeared on the 2007 I'm Not There soundtrack with the Swell Season's version of Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere".
Irglová met Glen Hansard in 2001 when she was 13 years old. Her father organized a music festival in the Czech Republic and booked The Frames. Hansard played a large part not only in her development as an artist and songwriter but also in launching her career. Although they met years earlier, her romantic relationship with Hansard began during the making of the film Once and ended in 2009. Irglová married Tim Iseler in 2011 and announced their divorce in 2012.
In 2012 she moved to Reykjavík, Iceland where she met her future husband, Sturla Míó Þórisson, with whom she has three children. By 2020, Irglová, who speaks fluent Icelandic, had applied for Icelandic citizenship.
with The Swell SeasonEdit
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Academy Award 2008 Achievement in Music Written for a Motion Picture (Original Song) – "Falling Slowly" from Once
- Critics' Choice Award 2008 Best Original Song – "Falling Slowly" from Once
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award 2008 Best Original Score – for Once
- "About Marketa Irglova". Archived from the original on 12 November 2014. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "WorldFilm.com". Worldfilm.about.com. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Vedder, Sonic Youth, Tweedy Do Dylan For Soundtrack". Billboard. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- Jamie diamond. "Life Imitating Film". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Markéta Irglová and Marek Irgl: Daughter and father on her Oscar success and much more". Radio Prague. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "'Once' a Hero". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- Jamie diamond (24 February 2008). "Life imitating art". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 February 2008.
- Bray, Allison (26 January 2009). "falling slowly ... out of love". Irish Independent. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Zpěvačka Markéta Irglová se po roce rozvádí". Týden.cz. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Markéta Irglová porodila na Islandu holčičku, jméno neprozradila". iDnes.cz. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Hallur Már Hallsson (10 February 2020). "Hinn íslenski Óskarshafinn". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 10 February 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Markéta Irglová.|