Mark Hunter (rower)
|Born||1 July 1978|
Forest Gate, Greater London, England
|Height||183 cm (6.00 ft)|
|Weight||11 st (70 kg)|
|Event(s)||Lightweight Double Sculls|
|Coached by||Darren Whiter|
Hunter was born in Forest Gate, London and he attended Havering Sixth Form College. While representing Havering in the London Youth Games, he took part in some of his early rowing competitions. In 2007 he partnered Zac Purchase in the Great Britain Lightweight Men's Double Scull. They won medals at each World Cup Regatta through the season. At the World Rowing Championships in Munich-Oberschleissheim they won a Bronze medal. The following year, their double dominated the lightweight event, winning all of their races, and finishing the season as Olympic champions. After a year off in 2009, they took Gold at the 2010 World Championships at Lake Karapiro in New Zealand.
He was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2009 New Year Honours, and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of East London (UEL) in November 2009.
In 2013, Hunter announced his retirement from competitive rowing.
- 2012 London – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2008 Beijing – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2011 Bled – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2010 Lake Karapiro – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2007 Munich – Bronze, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2012 Belgrade- Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2010 Munich – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2008 Poznań – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2008 Lucerne – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2008 Munich – Gold, Lightweight Double Scull (stroke)
- 2007 Lucerne – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2007 Amsterdam – Silver, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2007 Ottensheim – Bronze, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2005 Munich – 6th, Lightweight Double Scull
- 2005 Eton – 4th, Lightweight Double Scull
- 1999 – 8th, Heavyweight Double Scull
- 1998 – 9th, Heavyweight Double Scull
- 1997 – 10th, Heavyweight Quadruple Scull
GB Rowing Team Senior TrialsEdit
- 2011 – 4th, Lightweight Single Scull
2008–2009 Coached for UCLA Women's Rowing Team
- Alwakeel, Ramzy. "Olympic rowing medallist Mark Hunter MBE opens new sports pitch at Havering Sixth Form College, Hornchurch". Romfordrecorder.co.uk. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Hall of Fame - London Youth Games". Londonyouthgames.org. Archived from the original on 7 March 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
-  Archived 11 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 18.
- [dead link]
- "Player Bio: Mark Hunter – UCLA Official Athletic Site". Uclabruins.com. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Olympic champion Mark Hunter retires from rowing". Bbc.co.uk. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2017.