Margaret Holland, Duchess of Clarence
Margaret Holland (1385 – 30 December 1439) was a medieval English noblewoman. She was a daughter of Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent, who was the son of Joan "the Fair Maid of Kent" (granddaughter of Edward I of England, wife of Edward the Black Prince and mother of Richard II of England). Margaret's mother was Alice FitzAlan, daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 10th Earl of Arundel and Eleanor of Lancaster.
|Countess of Somerset|
Duchess of Clarence
|Died||30 December 1439 (aged 53–54)|
Bermondsey Abbey, London, England
|Buried||Canterbury Cathedral, Kent|
|Spouse||John Beaufort, 1st Earl of Somerset (m. 1397, died 1410)|
Thomas of Lancaster, Duke of Clarence (m. 1411, died 1421)
|Father||Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent|
- Henry Beaufort, 2nd Earl of Somerset (1401–1418)
- Joan Beaufort (d. 1445), who married James I of Scotland and Sir James Stewart, the Black Knight of Lorn
- John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset (1404–1444)
- Thomas Beaufort, Count of Perche (c. 1405–1431)
- Edmund Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset (c. 1406–1455)
- Margaret Beaufort (c. 1408–1449), married Thomas de Courtenay, 5th Earl of Devon
In 1399, she was invested as a Lady Companion, Order of the Garter (L.G.). After Beaufort died in 1410 (in the Tower of London), she married his nephew Thomas of Lancaster, Duke of Clarence (1387–1421), the son of King Henry IV. They had no children. She died on 30 December 1439 at St. Saviour's Abbey, Bermondsey, in London, England. Margaret and both her husbands are buried together in a carved alabaster tomb in Canterbury Cathedral that shows her lying between the two of them.
- Connor 2007, p. 388, per John Stone's Chronicle.
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 220.
- Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), pg 102, 103.
- Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), pg 274.
- Stansfield 1987, p. 310.
- Richardson II, pp. 185–187.
- Richardson II, pp. 392–394, 485–486.
- Stansfield 1987, p. 312.
- Richardson II, pp. 178–179.
- Richardson II, pp. 526–527.
- Richardson II, pp. 392–394.
- Richardson II, p. 392.
- Richardson II, pp. 478–479.
- Richardson II, p. 178.
- Richardson II, pp. 525–526.
- Connor, Meriel (2007). "The Political Allegiances of Christ Church Priory 1400–1472: the Evidence of John Stone's Chronicle". Archaeologia Cantiana. 127: 383–406.
- Richardson, D. (2011). Kimball G. Everingham (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry. II (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 978-1-4499-6638-6.
- Shaw, R.L.J. (2009). "Holland [married name Beaufort], Margaret, duchess of Clarence". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/98133. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Stansfield, M.M.N. (1987). The Hollands, Dukes of Exeter, Earls of Kent and Huntingdon, 1352–1475 (PDF) (PhD). Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 September 2018.