Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio
Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio (born 30 April 1953) is an Italian-born Monegasque billionaire businessman. He is the chairman and former owner of Silversea Cruises, a company founded by his father. In June 2018, 2/3 of the company was sold to Royal Caribbean for $1 billion.
|Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio|
Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio
30 April 1953|
|Alma mater||Sapienza University of Rome (dropped out)|
|Net worth||US$1.5 billion (June 2018)|
|Title||Chairman, Silversea Cruises|
Antonio Lefebvre d'Ovidio|
Lefebvre d'Ovidio grew up in Rome, one of three children born into an Italian family. The son of Antonio Lefebvre d'Ovidio, legal professor and Italian jurist, and Eugenia Beck, of a German family, he was involved in a variety of family businesses from an early age and today is chairman of luxury cruise line, Silversea Cruises.
His father's background in maritime law, among other industrial interests, led to the family’s involvement in shipping and ultimately, in the cruise industry. In 1988 they purchased control of Sitmar Cruises from the Vlasov family and in 1989, merged it with P&O's Princess Cruises unit. Silversea Cruises was founded in 1994 by his father with two ships purpose-built for the line, the Silver Cloud and the Silver Wind. Lefebvre d'Ovidio led Silversea through his board position before being named Chairman in 2001. By that time, it added two more vessels (Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow) making it a four ship fleet.
As of 2017 Silversea operates nine vessels on worldwide itineraries that call in all seven continents. It has been recognized as one of the World's best with multiple awards from Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure magazines as well as other travel publications and organizations.
Cruise industry advocacyEdit
Lefebvre d'Ovidio was a key driver of the unification of the European cruise industry as chairman of the European Cruise Council (ECC) since 2010. He led the merger of that association with the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) of which he has served on the board of directors since 2013. He remains on the board of CLIA Global and serves as chairman of CLIA Europe. He is also active in promoting international tourism efforts as the vice chairman of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), in charge for Europe and a member of the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- "Antonio Lefebvre Dovidio Dies Age 98". Travel Agent Central.
- "Why Silversea?". Silversea Cruises.
- "Exclusive: Update from Silversea's Manfredi Lefebvre, Roberto Martinoli & Mark Conroy - Luxury Travel Advisor". www.luxurytraveladvisor.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Kilgore, Tomi. "Royal Caribbean to pay $1 billion for a two-thirds stake in Silversea Cruises". marketwatch.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Kalosh, Anne. "Silver Muse godmother is Manfredi Lefebvre's daughter". seatrade-cruise.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "The year's most luxurious new cruise ship christened in Monaco". usatoday.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "CruiseTravel CLIA-European Cruise Council adopt three new safety policies". Travel Weekly.
- "Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio". Ultra Travel Forum.