Main Street (2010 film)
Main Street is a 2010 drama film about several residents of Durham, North Carolina, a city in the Southern U.S., whose lives are changed by the arrival of a stranger with a controversial plan to save their decaying hometown.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Doyle|
|Produced by||Adi Shankar|
|Written by||Horton Foote|
|Music by||Patrick Doyle|
|Edited by||Richard Francis-Bruce|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures |
Myriad Pictures (International)
Each of the colorful citizens of a close-knit North Carolina community—from a once-wealthy tobacco heiress to the city's mayor to a local police officer—will search for ways to reinvent themselves, their relationships and the very heart of their neighborhood.
- Colin Firth as Gus Leroy
- Ellen Burstyn as Georgiana Carr
- Patricia Clarkson as Willa Jenkins
- Orlando Bloom as Harris Parker
- Amber Tamblyn as Mary Saunders
- Margo Martindale as Myrtle Parker
- Andrew McCarthy as Howard Mercer
- Victoria Clark as Miriam
- Isiah Whitlock Jr. as Mayor
- Tom Wopat as Frank
- Viktor Hernandez as Estaquio
- Juan Piedrahita as Jose (as Juan Carlos Piedrahita)
- Thomas Upchurch as Trooper Williams
- Reid Dalton as Crosby Gage
- Amy da Luz as Rita
The film was shot nearly entirely in Durham, North Carolina in April and May 2009. The screenplay was written by Pulitzer Prize–winning writer Horton Foote after he found downtown Durham empty on a weekend visit several years earlier.
Blog Critics reviewed the film, saying, "Everything that occurs in the film feels shallow somehow, and it’s a shame because Main Street had all of the basic elements that would have made it truly, a great film."
- "Orlando Bloom Finds Trouble on 'Main Street'". Entertainment Tonight. Archived from the original on 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2009-06-06. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Myriad walks up 'Main Street'". Variety. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- 2011 Year in Review: Big Stars, Vanishing Movies Yahoo Movies Archived 2012-01-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Waggoner, Martha (April 24, 2009). "Directors, actors stay true to Foote's script". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on April 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-06. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Brush with fame starts with day on 'Main Street'". The Durham News. May 27, 2009. Archived from the original on June 15, 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "They're wrapping up on 'Main Street' though the plot is suspiciously close to Sinclair Lewis' celebrated novel of the same title". News and Observer. April 27, 2009. Archived from the original on April 30, 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Bay City Native rubs elbows with Hollywood Stars". The Bay City Times. May 21, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Swart, Sharon (May 21, 2009). "Tarantino gets Cannes off and running". Variety.
- "Main Street (2011)". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- DVD Review: Main Street (2011) Archived 2012-07-11 at Archive.today Blogcritics.org