Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset
Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset (23 March 1898 – 1 September 1984 in Paris) was the titular Duchess of Parma (from 1974) and was also Carlist queen of Spain (from 1952) as the consort of Prince Xavier of Bourbon-Parma, the Carlist pretender to the Spanish throne.
|Duchess of Parma|
Madeleine, her husband Xavier and their daughter Marie des Neiges
|Born||23 March 1898|
|Died||1 September 1984 (aged 86)|
|Spouse||Xavier, Duke of Parma|
|Father||Georges de Bourbon-Busset,|
Count de Lignières
|Mother||Marie Jeanne de Kerret de Quillien|
Life and familyEdit
She was born of a cadet branch of the Bourbon Counts of Busset, male-line descendants of Louis de Bourbon (1437–1482), prince du sang, Bishop of Liège, allegedly by a liaison with Catherine de Gueldres. Her father was Georges de Bourbon-Busset, Count de Lignières (1860–1932), and her mother Marie Jeanne née de Kerret-Quillien (1866–1958).
Prince Xavier, a younger son of Robert I, Duke of Parma, and Madeleine were wed on 12 November 1927 at the château de Lignières in Cher. The couple took up residence in the Bourbonnais, where Xavier managed Madeleine's farm lands. The marriage was accepted as dynastic at the time by neither Prince Elias of Bourbon-Parma (Xavier's elder half-brother, then acting head of the House of Bourbon-Parma), nor by the senior Bourbons of the Spanish branch (Alphonso XIII), but was later recognized by the Parmesan Duke Robert Hugo, and by the Carlist pretender Alfonso Carlos, Duke of San Jaime.
In 1936, Alfonso Carlos, the last undisputed head of the Carlist movement, appointed her husband Xavier as Carlist "regent". Madeleine actively supported her husband's political activities and social views. Madeleine was the author of "Catherine de Médicis", published in France in 1940.
The couple had issue:
- Princess Maria Francisca of Bourbon-Parma, born 19 August 1928; married Prince Edouard de Lobkowicz (1926–2010).
- Carlos Hugo of Bourbon, Duke of Parma, born 8 April 1930, died 18 August 2010; former Carlist pretender.
- Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Parma, born 28 July 1933.
- Princess Cecilia Maria of Bourbon-Parma, born 12 April 1935.
- Princess Marie des Neiges of Bourbon-Parma, born 29 April 1937.
- Prince Sixtus Henry of Parma, born 22 July 1940.
|Ancestors of Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset|
References and notesEdit
- Enache, Nicolas. La Descendance de Marie-Therese de Habsburg. ICC, Paris, 1996. pp. 416-417, 422. (French). ISBN 2-908003-04-X
- Anselme, Père. ‘’Histoire de la Maison Royale de France’’, tome 4. Editions du Palais-Royal, 1967, Paris. pp. 307, 375. (French).
- de Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy. ‘’Le Petit Gotha’’. Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery, Paris 2002, (French) p. 586-589 ISBN 2-9507974-3-1
Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset
Cadet branch of the House of BourbonBorn: 23 March 1898 Died: 1 September 1984
|Titles in pretence|
Title last held byMaria das Neves of Portugal
|— TITULAR —
Queen of Spain
20 May 1952 – 7 May 1977
Irene of the Netherlands
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|