Mad Love (Linda Ronstadt album)
Mad Love is the tenth studio album by singer, songwriter and producer Linda Ronstadt, released in 1980. It debuted at #5 on the Billboard album chart, a record at the time and a first for any female artist, and quickly became her seventh consecutive album to sell one million copies. It was certified Platinum and nominated for a Grammy.
|Studio album by Linda Ronstadt|
|Recorded||October 24, 1979 - January 10, 1980|
|Studio||Record One, Los Angeles, California|
|Linda Ronstadt chronology|
The album contains versions of Elvis Costello's "Party Girl", "Girls Talk" and "Talking in the Dark" as well as Neil Young's "Look Out for My Love". Three songs from The Cretones' first album, Thin Red Line, were also featured.
The album had Top 10 hits in the United States with the frenetic "How Do I Make You" and the achingly pleading "Hurt So Bad". "I Can't Let Go" was the album's third hit single. Ronstadt was named Billboard's #1 Female Artist of 1980. This was her fourth time earning that honor. (She was also named the year's top woman in 1975, 1977, and 1978.) Linda was nominated for a Grammy Award in the Best Rock Vocal Performance Female category for the single "How Do I Make You". In the United Kingdom, this release peaked at #65.
In 2011, after 31 years, Mad Love was taken out of print. The album was put into reprint in 2012 as part of Warner/Rhino's "Original Album Series" a group of five classic albums packaged in a box with each individual CD in a mini-replica of the original vinyl packaging. That package has also been deleted.
|Robert Christgau||B- |
|Rolling Stone||(mixed) |
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|1.||"Mad Love"||Mark Goldenberg||3:40|
|2.||"Party Girl"||Elvis Costello||3:22|
|3.||"How Do I Make You"||Billy Steinberg||2:25|
|4.||"I Can't Let Go"||Chip Taylor, Al Gorgoni||2:44|
|5.||"Hurt So Bad"||Teddy Randazzo, Bobby Weinstein, Bobby Hart||3:17|
|6.||"Look Out for My Love"||Neil Young||3:29|
|7.||"Cost of Love"||Goldenberg||2:38|
|10.||"Talking in the Dark"||Costello||2:12|
- Linda Ronstadt - lead and background vocals (4,6)
- Dan Dugmore - electric guitars (1-6,8-10)
- Mark Goldenberg - electric guitars (1-4,7-10), background vocals (1,3,7)
- Bob Glaub - bass guitar
- Russell Kunkel - drums
- Bill Payne - hammond organ (1,6,8,10), wurlitzer (1,3,4,8) synthesizers (2,7,8), electric grand piano (2), fender rhodes (5,6), electric organ (9)
- Danny Kortchmar - electric guitars (5)
- Mike Auldridge - dobro (6)
- Peter Bernstein - acoustic guitars (9)
- Peter Asher – tambourine (4), percussion
Steve Forman - percussion
- Cateforis, Theo (2011). Are We Not New Wave? : Modern Pop at the Turn of the 1980s. University of Michigan Press. p. 40. ISBN 0-472-03470-7.
- Allmusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Rolling Stone review
- Brackett, Nathan; Christian Hoard (2004). The Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York City, New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 701. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.