MS Enchanted Capri is a wrecked Belorussiya-class cruise ship owned by Demar Instaladora y Constructora, Mexico and operated as an accommodation vessel for oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. She was built in 1975 at Wärtsilä Turku Shipyard in Turku, Finland as the 15,409 GRT MS Azerbaydzhan for the Soviet Union-based Black Sea Shipping Company. She had also sailed under the names MS Arkadia and MS Island Holiday.
Delphin, sister ship of Enchanted Capri, departing Bremerhaven in 2010
|Port of registry||Ciudad del Carmen Campeche, Mexico|
|Builder||Wärtsilä Turku Shipyard, Turku, Finland|
|Launched||14 April 1975|
|Out of service||2020|
|Fate||grounded in Alvarado in 2020|
|General characteristics (currently)|
|Class and type||Hotel ship|
|Tonnage||15,410 GT, 3,000 DWT, 6,401 NT|
|Length||157 m (515 ft 1 in)|
|Beam||21.83 m (71 ft 7 in)|
|Draught||6.2 m (20 ft 4 in)|
|Depth||72 feet|
|Installed power||2 x Wärtilä SEMT Pielstick 18 PC 2-2V, 2 × 9,000 bhp (6,700 kW)|
|Propulsion||2 x Kameha CPP W/4 blades|
|Speed||20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
|Notes||248 rooms|
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)
The Azerbaydzhan was built in 1975 as the third ship of the five Belorussiya class passenger ships ordered by the Soviet Union from the Wärtsilä shipyard in Turku, Finland. She underwent refurbishments in 1984 in Bremerhaven, Germany and in 1997 in Freeport, Grand Bahama. In 1996, the vessel was acquired by BLASCO, Ukraine and renamed Arkadia (Arkadiya).
On June 4, 1998, Commodore Cruise Line chartered the vessel, renamed her Enchanted Capri and started 2 and 5-day cruises from New Orleans, Louisiana with an emphasis on gaming. With 248 cabins, including eight suites, and eight passenger decks, the Enchanted Capri offered full cruise amenities such as swimming pools, restaurants, gift shops, bars, lounges, theater, disco, gym, sauna, beauty salon, and complete hospital facilities. Commodore Holdings Limited, the parent company to Commodore Cruise Line, and Casino America, Inc. announced that they had executed a definitive agreement under which Casino America would manage the casino operations aboard this ship. The onboard casino, with slots and a variety of table games, was under the Isle of Capri Casinos banner. Following Commodore's bankruptcy on January 11, 2001, the Enchanted Capri made news when the ship was arrested in New Orleans by the International Transport Workers' Federation on behalf of the crew, who were owed $500,000 in back wages. More than 230 crew stranded on the passenger vessel were sent home to forty different countries in the biggest repatriation operation staged by the ITWF.
The Enchanted Capri was laid up, her owners chartered her to the Mexican company Demar Instaladora y Constructora in 2003 and refurbished the vessel in 2005 to bring her up to the latest SOLAS standards. At the end of 2007 Enchanted Capri was totally owned by the Mexican company Demar Instaladora y Constructora.
- "Enchanted Capri (7359474)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- "Desguazarán el flotel Enchanteo Capri en Coatzacoalcos". 16 October 2020.
- Arkadiya – IMO 7359474
- "AZERBAIJAN – IMO 7359474". shipspotting.com. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- Asklander, Micke. "M/S AZERBAIHZAN". Fakta om Fartyg. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Fleet Information – M/V Enchanted Capri". Archived from the original on 2012-02-20. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- Black Sea Shipping Co. (Black Sea Steamship Co.)
- "ENCHANTED CAPRI wird verschrottet" (in German). 2020-10-21. Retrieved 2020-12-11.
- "Former Cruise Ship Drifts Aground Off Port of Alvarado, Mexico". 2020-11-04. Retrieved 2020-12-11.
- "Former Soviet cruise liner, now a ghost ship, decaying in Gulf of Mexico". Fleetmon. 31 December 2021. Retrieved 31 December 2020.