MLB The Show 21
MLB The Show 21 is a baseball video game by San Diego Studio and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, based on Major League Baseball (MLB). It was released for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, as well as the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S (a first for the franchise), with MLB Advanced Media co-publishing digital versions on the latter platforms. The sixteenth entry of the MLB: The Show franchise, it was released on April 20, 2021. San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatís Jr. is featured as the cover star, and at age 22 is the youngest player to do so.
|MLB The Show 21|
|Developer(s)||San Diego Studio|
|Series||MLB: The Show|
|Release||April 20, 2021|
New to the series is the ballpark creator feature, which gives players the ability to change ballpark dimensions, wall height, foul territory and other scenery options. This feature also allows players to share and download ballparks that other players have created online. It was exclusive to the ninth generation versions of the game.
For the first time in the series, the game was made available on Xbox consoles, with cross-platform compatibility between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. It was also announced that the Xbox versions of the game would be available for Xbox Game Pass subscribers at no additional cost at release, a decision made solely by co-publisher MLB Advanced Media and not Sony themselves.
The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions of MLB The Show 21 received "generally favorable reviews" from critics, according to review aggregate Metacritic.
GameSpot gave the game 7/10, praising the Stadium Creator and changes to pitching but criticizing the lack of additions to Road to the Show and Franchise modes, saying: "Much like its predecessors, MLB The Show 21 is still one of the best sports games available once you step over the foul line." GamesRadar+ gave the game 4/5 stars, calling it "a solid home-run hitter, but not the baseball revolution we were hoping for on PS5 and Xbox Series X." IGN gave it 8/10, saying: "MLB The Show 21 isn't the generational leap forward we might've expected following a new console launch, but it's still the best baseball sim you can play on any platform."
- Xbox digital versions
- "Jackie to be on special MLB The Show cover". MLB.com. Retrieved 2021-02-03.
- "Introducing our MLB The Show 21 cover athlete Fernando Tatis Jr". PlayStation.Blog. 2021-02-01. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- MLB The Show 21 – 4K 60FPS Get the lowdown on Stadium Creator with Coach & Fernando | PS5, retrieved 2021-03-23
- Good, Owen S. (1 February 2021). "MLB The Show 21 launches on PS5 — and Xbox Series X — in April". Polygon.
- Lyles, Taylor (2 April 2021). "Sony's MLB The Show 21 will arrive on Xbox Game Pass at launch". The Verge.
- "MLB The Show 21 for PlayStation 5 Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved April 22, 2021.
- "MLB The Show 21 for Xbox Series X Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved April 26, 2021.
- Reiner, Andrew (April 22, 2021). "MLB The Show 21 Review – A Familiar Crack Of The Bat". Game Informer. Retrieved April 25, 2021.
- Petite, Steven (April 20, 2020). "MLB The Show 21 Review - Batter Up". GameSpot. Retrieved April 20, 2021.