M18 motorway (Great Britain)
|Part of E13|
|Length:||26.5 mi (42.6 km)|
|Existed:||1967 – present|
|Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Leeds|
The M18 runs in a north east/south west direction from junction 32 of the M1 motorway to junction 35 of the M62 motorway. It passes east of Rotherham, southeast of Doncaster and Armthorpe, and west of Thorne. It meets the A1(M) at junction 2 (A1(M) junction 35)--known as the Wadworth Interchange—and the M180 motorway at junction 5. Access to Doncaster is provided from junctions 3 (A6182) and 4 (A630)
Much of the M18 is a two lane dual carriageway, and carries relatively low volumes of traffic. However, the section linking the M1 and A1(M) is much busier and has three lanes in each direction. It then passes over the Wadworth Viaduct. To the north it then crosses the East Coast Main Line, and until its closure and the dismantling of the pit head gear, a large colliery could be seen to the south at Rossington.
Finningley and Rossington Regeneration Route SchemeEdit
The Finningley and Rossington Regeneration Route Scheme (FARRRS) is a new road scheme which, when complete, will run from the M18 at Junction 3 to Doncaster Sheffield Airport, improving access primarily to the Airport but also to Rossington and the new Doncaster iPort. Work started in 2013 and the road became operational in February 2016.
- Junction 1 to Junction 2 opened in 1967
- Junction 5 to Junction 6 opened in 1972
- Junction 6 to Junction 7 opened in 1975
- Junction 4 to Junction 5 opened in 1977
- Junction 2 to Junction 4 opened in 1979
|M18 motorway junctions|
|miles||km||Southbound exits (B carriageway)||Junction||Northbound exits (A carriageway)||Coordinates|
|156.8||252.4||The South, London, Nottingham, Sheffield, Rotherham, Leeds M1||M1, J32||Start of motorway|
|158.5||255.1||Rotherham, Bramley, Hellaby A631||J1||Rotherham, Bramley, Hellaby A631|
|158.5||263.6||The North, The South, Newark-on-Trent, Leeds, Blyth A1(M)||J2||The North, The South, Doncaster A1(M)|
|165.9||267.1||Doncaster, Doncaster Sheffield A6182
|J3||Doncaster, Doncaster Sheffield A6182|
|171.8||276.5||Doncaster A630||J4||Hatfield, Thorne A630|
|175.8||283.0||Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Humberside M180
Doncaster North services
|Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Humberside M180
Doncaster North Services
|177.8||286.2||Hatfield, Thorne A614||J6||Selby, Thorne A614|
|Start of motorway||J7||Hull, Goole, Leeds, Manchester M62|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Work on £56m Doncaster road project complete | Highways Magazine: Industry News, Services, Conferences and Exhibitions". highwaysmagazine.co.uk. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "New £56m Robin Hood Airport to M18 link road opens". BBC News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "M18 Junctions 2 to 3 northbound improvement". Highways England. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "The Motorway Archive. M1/M18. Crick to Doncaster". Iht.org. Archived from the original on 12 August 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Traffic England Live Traffic Condition Map Archived 10 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Highways Agency – Locations extracted from Traffic Camera Popup identifier text