M18 motorway (Great Britain)
|Part of E13 and E22|
|Length||26.5 mi (42.6 km)|
|Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Leeds|
The M18 runs in a north east/south west direction from junction 32 of the M1 motorway to junction 35 of the M62 motorway. It passes east of Rotherham, southeast of Doncaster and Armthorpe, and west of Thorne. It meets the A1(M) at junction 2 (A1(M) junction 35)--known as the Wadworth Interchange—and the M180 motorway at junction 5. Access to Doncaster is provided from junctions 3 (A6182) and 4 (A630)
Much of the M18 is a two lane dual carriageway, and carries relatively low volumes of traffic. However, the M1 to A1(M) section and M180 to M62 section are much busier with three lanes in each direction, and there is a small three lane section northbound between junctions 2 and 3. It passes over the Wadworth Viaduct at junction 2. To the north it then crosses the East Coast Main Line, and until its closure and the dismantling of the pit head gear, a large colliery could be seen to the south at Rossington.
- Junction 1 to Junction 2 opened in 1967
- Junction 5 to Junction 6 opened in 1972
- Junction 6 to Junction 7 opened in 1975
- Junction 4 to Junction 5 opened in 1977
- Junction 2 to Junction 4 opened in 1979
The M18 was originally to be part of the M1, but it was decided to route the M1 towards Leeds instead of Doncaster, and the routing of what would have been the M1 east of Sheffield became the M18. In order to provide better access to Doncaster town centre and the new Great Yorkshire Way to Doncaster Sheffield Airport, the section of the M18 between junctions 2 and 3 northbound was upgraded to 3 lanes, between 20 June 2014 and 12 June 2015.
|M18 motorway junctions|
|miles||km||Southbound exits (B carriageway)||Junction||Northbound exits (A carriageway)||Coordinates|
|156.8||252.4||The South, London, Nottingham, Sheffield, Rotherham, Leeds M1||M1, J32||Start of motorway|
|158.5||255.1||Rotherham, Bramley, Hellaby A631||J1||Rotherham, Bramley, Hellaby A631|
|158.5||263.6||The North, The South, Newark-on-Trent, Leeds, Blyth A1(M)||J2||The North, The South, Doncaster A1(M)|
|165.9||267.1||Doncaster, Doncaster Sheffield A6182
|J3||Doncaster, Doncaster Sheffield A6182|
|171.8||276.5||Doncaster A630||J4||Hatfield, Thorne A630|
|175.8||283.0||Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Humberside M180
Doncaster North services
|Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Humberside M180
Doncaster North Services
|177.8||286.2||Hatfield, Thorne A614||J6||Selby, Thorne A614|
|Start of motorway||J7||Hull, Goole, Leeds, Manchester M62|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "The Motorway Archive. M1/M18. Crick to Doncaster". Iht.org. Archived from the original on 12 August 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "M18 Junctions 2 to 3 northbound improvement". Highways England. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Traffic England Live Traffic Condition Map Archived 10 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine Highways Agency – Locations extracted from Traffic Camera Popup identifier text