Lufkin High School is a public high school located in Lufkin, Texas (United States) and is classified as a 5A school by the University Interscholastic League. It is part of the Lufkin Independent School District that serves the Lufkin area and central Angelina County.
|Lufkin High School|
309 Medford Drive
|School type||Public high school|
|Established||1905 district = Lufkin Independent School District|
|NCES School ID||482855007762|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.68|
|Color(s)||Purple & Gold|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 5A|
|Rival||Nacogdoches High School|
|Website||Lufkin High School|
Following the desegregation of Lufkin ISD in 1971, Lufkin High School and Dunbar High School, the formerly African-American School in Lufkin, consolidated. The current high school building was constructed and opened in 1999. In 2015, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
Lufkin High School student athletes compete as the Panthers in the following sports:
- Cross Country
State titles edit
- Marching Band
- 2021 (5A/6A)
- 2023 (5A/6A)
- 1963 (4A)
- Boys Basketball
- 1979 (4A)
- 2001 (5A)
- Boys Soccer
- 2015 (6A)
Lufkin Dunbar (PVIL)
- 1964 (PVIL-6A), 1966 (PVIL-6A), 1967 (PVIL-6A)
Fine arts edit
The Lufkin High School Panther Band received the only superior rating of (1,1,1) at all UIL Marching Competitions 2008 through 2020. The band also won the Military state marching title in 2016, 2017 (6A) and 2019 (5A) at the NAMMB Military State Marching Contest. As well, the band has sent numerous students to the TMEA All State clinic.
Notable alumni edit
- Bruce Alexander – former NFL player
- Dez Bryant – former Oklahoma State University football player; former Dallas Cowboys Wide receiver
- Carrington Byndom – former Carolina Panthers cornerback
- Keke Coutee - former Texas Tech University football player; current Houston Texans wide receiver
- Rex Hadnot – former University of Houston Offensive guard; former San Diego Chargers Offensive guard. Former placer for the Arizona Cardinals (2010–2011), Cleveland Browns (2008–2009) and Miami Dolphins (2004–2007)
- Terrence Kiel, former Texas A&M University and San Diego Chargers safety
- Jorvorskie Lane – former Texas A&M University football player; former Miami Dolphins Fullback; former Tampa Bay Buccaneers fullback; holds Texas state high school record for career rushing touchdowns (49)
- Reggie McNeal – former Texas A&M University quarterback; former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver; former Canadian Football League wide receiver and quarterback
- Don Muhlbach – former Texas A&M University football player; current Detroit Lions deep snapper
- Pete Runnels – former infielder for the Houston Colt .45's (1963–1964), Boston Red Sox (1958–1962) and Washington Senators (1951–1957)
- Joe Robb – former Texas Christian University Offensive lineman. Played for the Detroit Lions (1968–1971), St. Louis Cardinals (1961–1967) and Philadelphia Eagles (1959–1960)
- Ryan Rottman – actor
- Ken Houston – Lufkin Dunbar graduate who played for the Washington Redskins (1973–1980) and Houston Oilers (1967–1972); was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986
- Jacoby Shepherd – former NFL cornerback
- Suzy Spencer - journalist and New York Times bestselling author; class of 1972
- Joe Williams – former NFL player, graduated from Dunbar High School
- Erik McCoy - NFL center
- "Staff List | Lufkin High School". sites.lufkinisd.org. Retrieved 14 August 2023.
- "Nacodoches vs. Lufkin (2017)". Great American Rivalry Series. Retrieved 15 January 2022.
- "LUFKIN H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved August 16, 2021.
- "Search for Public Schools - Lufkin High School (482855007762)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Choate, Duane. "Lufkin Dunbar High School". East Texas History. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-10.
- "Lufkin ISD unveils new modern buildings". www.ktre.com. 17 April 2019. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- Beames, Caleb (6 August 2021). "New Lufkin ISD gym officially opens". www.kltv.com.
- UIL Spelling & Vocabulary Archives
- "LHS Accounting UIL STATE CHAMPS! | Lufkin ISD". www.lufkinisd.org. Retrieved 2020-03-11.
- The Athletics Department
- UIL Baseball Archives
- UIL Basketball Archives
- Lone Star Football Network
- UIL Boys Soccer Archives
- UIL Football Archives Archived 2012-01-03 at the Wayback Machine
- National Association of Military Marching Bands