LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport (LSU Health Shreveport) is an academic center for medicine and medical research that is located in Shreveport, Louisiana. LSU Health Shreveport is composed of three different schools: the School of Medicine, School of Graduate Studies, and School of Allied Health Professions. The School of Medicine offers the Doctor of Medicine degree, while both the Schools of Graduate Studies and Allied Health offer Bachelor's degrees, Master's degrees, and Doctorate degrees. The Ochsner-LSU Health Hospital also offers 18 residency programs and 15 fellowships.
|Chancellor||G. E. Ghali|
It is part of the Louisiana State University System. It was established as the Louisiana State University School of Medicine at Shreveport in 1966; Edgar Hull – who in 1931 had worked to establish the Medical Center of Louisiana at New Orleans – was the first dean, from 1966 until he retired in 1973. G. E. Ghali was named Chancellor of LSU Health Shreveport in October of 2016.
Since 2016, the LSU medical school in Shreveport has grappled with financial troubles. LSU President F. King Alexander said that the troubles date to 2013, when the private Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana assumed control of the teaching hospital as part of then-Governor Bobby Jindal's plan to privatize the state charity hospital system. Alexander said that the foundation has not paid hospital bills in full and provides insufficient funding to sustain the medical school.
In October 2018, a 50/50 partnership between Ochsner and LSU Health Shreveport took over managing the operations, replacing the previous management.
Degree & Residency ProgramsEdit
LSU Health Shreveport's three professional schools (Medicine, Graduate Studies, and Allied Health Professions) offer multiple degree paths. The School of Medicine only offers the MD degree, but some students elect to join the rigorous combined MD–PhD program.
School of Graduate StudiesEdit
The school of graduate studies offers master's degrees, PhDs, and takes part in a combined MD-PhD program with the School of Medicine. Degrees are available in the following areas:
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, PhD
- Cellular Biology & Anatomy, PhD
- Microbiology & Immunology, PhD
- Molecular & Cellular Physiology, PhD
- Pharmacology, Toxicology, & Neuroscience, PhD
- MD/PhD program
- Biomedical Science, MS
School of Allied Health ProfessionsEdit
Allied Health has the widest arrangement of academic degrees, with undergraduate and graduate programs. It also offers three residency programs.
- Bachelor of Science in Cardiopulmonary Science (Respiratory Therapy)
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Master of Communication Disorders (Speech-Language Pathology)
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies
- Master of Public Health (Joint Degree with LSU Shreveport)
- Neurologic Physical Therapy (residency program only)
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy (residency program only)
- Wound Management (residency program only)
- "Ghali named permanent chancellor at LSU med in Shreveport". AP News. Associated Press. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Home - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport". www.lsuhscshreveport.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "School of Allied Health Professions - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport". www.lsuhscshreveport.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "FAQs - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport". www.lsuhscshreveport.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "Hull, Edgar". Louisiana Historical Association, A Dictionary of Louisiana Biography. Retrieved February 1, 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Leigh Guidry (August 31, 2016). "LSU's Shreveport medical school on life support". The Shreveport Times. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Piekos, Christian. "Ochsner takes the reigns of North Louisiana's charity hospitals". ksla.
- "School of Medicine - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport". www.lsuhscshreveport.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "School of Graduate Studies - Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport". www.lsuhscshreveport.edu. Retrieved 2019-07-09.