Lord Charles Bruce
Captain Lord Charles William Brudenell-Bruce (18 June 1834 – 16 April 1897), styled Lord Charles Bruce, was a British soldier and Liberal Party politician. He served as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household under William Ewart Gladstone between 1880 and 1885.
Lord Charles Bruce
Lord Charles Bruce, by Leslie Ward, 1882.
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household|
3 May 1880 – 9 June 1885
|Prime Minister||William Ewart Gladstone|
|Preceded by||The Viscount Barrington|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Lewisham|
|Born||18 June 1834|
|Died||16 April 1897(aged 62)|
|Spouse(s)||Augusta Seymour (d. 1901)|
Bruce was the son of Charles Brudenell-Bruce, 1st Marquess of Ailesbury, by his second wife Maria Elizabeth Tollemache, daughter of the Honourable Charles Tollemache, of Harrington, Northamptonshire. George Brudenell-Bruce, 2nd Marquess of Ailesbury, and Ernest Brudenell-Bruce, 3rd Marquess of Ailesbury, were his elder half-brothers.
Bruce served in the 1st Life Guards. He purchased a captaincy in the regiment on 30 August 1859, succeeding Hon. Dudley FitzGerald-deRos. He was also an Honorary Major in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry.
Bruce sat as Member of Parliament for North Wiltshire from 1865 to 1874 and for Marlborough from 1878 to 1885. In 1880 he was sworn of the Privy Council and appointed Vice-Chamberlain of the Household under William Ewart Gladstone, a post he held until the Liberal government fell in 1885.
Bruce married Augusta Georgiana Sophia Seymour, daughter of Frederick Charles William Seymour and granddaughter of Lord Hugh Seymour, on 2 February 1860. They had no children. He died in April 1897, aged 62. Lady Charles Bruce died in February 1901.
- thepeerage.com Rt. Hon. Lord Charles William Brudenell-Bruce
- "No. 22302". The London Gazette. 30 August 1859. p. 3239.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. pp. 208–209, 480–481. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- "No. 24841". The London Gazette. 4 May 1880. p. 2836.
- "No. 24842". The London Gazette. 7 May 1880. p. 2915.
- "No. 25485". The London Gazette. 30 June 1885. p. 3000.
- "Obituary". The Times (36376). London. 12 February 1901. p. 6.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Charles Bruce
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for North Wiltshire
1865 – 1874
With: Walter Long 1865
Richard Penruddocke Long 1865–1868
Sir George Jenkinson, Bt 1868–1874
Sir George Jenkinson, Bt
Lord Ernest Bruce
| Member of Parliament for Marlborough
1878 – 1885
The Viscount Barrington
| Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a peer, peeress or noble of the United Kingdom, or one or more of its constituent countries, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|