Llangelynnin (Welsh pronunciation; also Llangelynin) is a small village and community near Tywyn, Gwynedd, Wales. Although the village is usually known as Llangelynnin in English, the community name used is Llangelynin.
St Celynnin's Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
St Celynnin's ChurchEdit
The parish church is dedicated to Saint Celynnin. The church dates from the 13th century and was extensively restored and probably extended in the late 15th or early 16th century. It had minor restorations in the 19th and 20th centuries but retains most of its medieval character. There is a 17th-century porch and bellcote at the south end, with a bell inscribed with the date 1660.
The interior of the church includes 17th-century wall paintings with texts and a skeletal figure. The benches date from about 1823 and record the names, addresses and occupations of their nineteenth-century occupants.
Location, History & AmenitiesEdit
The community of Llangelynin includes the larger village of Llwyngwril, the village of Tonfanau and the hamlet of Rhoslefain within its boundaries. It has an area of 2,154 hectares and a population of 708 (2001 census), reducing to 673 at the 2011 census.
- Davies, John; Jenkins, Nigel; Baines, Menna & Lynch, Peredur I. (2008) The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales, University of Wales Press, Cardiff.
- "2011 Census: Quick Statistics: Llangelynin". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "St Celynin's Church, Llangelynin". Coflein. Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Community population 2011". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 17 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Llangelynnin, Gwynedd.|
- A Vision of Britain through time: Llangelynnin
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llangelynnin and surrounding area
- Snowdonia 360: Virtual Tour of Llangelynnin Church
- Llangelynin and Llwyngwril churches
|This Gwynedd location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|