Liv Inger Somby
Liv Inger Somby (born 1962) is a Sámi educator, writer, and journalist. She specializes in indigenous journalism which she teaches at the Sámi University of Applied Sciences in Kautokeino in the north of Norway.
|Liv Inger Somby|
|Born||25 March 1962 (age 59)|
|Occupation||Author, university teacher, journalist|
Born in the village of Guohppenjavvi, Karigasniemi, Utsjoki on the Finnish side of the Sápmi border, she now lives in Kautokeino, Norway. She is one of only three people who have earned a master's degree in indigenous journalism in Norway. She has since worked in Norway, Sweden and Finland, both as a freelance and for the Swedish and Norwegian national broadcasting corporations.
As a journalist, Somby has reported on Sámi news and features for over 30 years. A member of Norway's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, she has also worked in Sweden, Finland and Russia. She heads the Sámi Broadcasting Council (or Sámi Programme Council) at NRK Sápmi.
In the mid-1990s, Somby undertook a study of 27 Sami women who reported on their earlier experiences and their impressions of what life for the Sami peoples had been like a hundred years ago. Many of them had been persuaded to marry against their will while some told of how children had frozen to death on the way to school. As many of the stories were dramatic or violent, they remained as tape recordings for over 20 years. Only in 2017 did she decide to publish 12 of them.
- "Liv Inger Somby". E24. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Samekvinners historier holdt hemmelig i 20 år. Nå kommer de fram i lyset" (in Norwegian). NRK Sápmi. 30 March 2018. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "2017-02-09Čállingoddi/Sekretariat/Sihteeristö/Secretariat/CекретариатPostboks 162N-9735 Kárášjohka/Karasjok, Norwaysaamicouncil@saamicouncil.net saamicouncil.netTel. +358400725 2261/9Speakers, 21st Saami Conference, Tråante 2017" (PDF). Saami Council. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- Boström, Anders (13 October 2017). ""Det krävdes ett hav av tid för att bli accepterad"" (in Norwegian). Samer. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Spectacular opening of Kola Sámi Radio". Norwegian Barents Secretariat. 1 July 2005. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Samisk programråd" (in Norwegian). NRK Sápmi. 27 September 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- Dingman, Erica. "Liv Inger Somby". Aurora. Retrieved 19 August 2019.