Utsjoki (Northern Sami: Ohcejohka, Inari Sami: Uccjuuhâ, Skolt Sami: Uccjokk, Norwegian: Utsjok) is a municipality in Finland, the northernmost in the country. It is located in Lapland and borders Norway as well as the municipality of Inari. The municipality was founded in 1876. It has a population of 1,247 (31 August 2017) and covers an area of 5,372.00 square kilometres (2,074.14 sq mi) of which 227.51 km2 (87.84 sq mi) is water. The population density is 0.24 inhabitants per square kilometre (0.62/sq mi).
Utsjoki – Ohcejohka
Utsjoki Church and a log cabin
Location of Utsjoki in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Vuokko Tieva-Niittyvuopio|
|• Total||5,372.00 km2 (2,074.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||5,144.27 km2 (1,986.21 sq mi)|
|• Water||227.51 km2 (87.84 sq mi)|
|Area rank||10th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||294th largest in Finland|
|• Density||0.24/km2 (0.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||51.6% (official)|
|• Sami||46.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.8%|
|• 15 to 64||65.8%|
|• 65 or older||20.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.75%|
The border to Norway follows the river Teno which flows into the Arctic Sea. The river is a popular site for recreational fishing because it is rich in salmon. The northernmost village in Finland and in the European Union is Nuorgam which is also the northernmost land border crossing in the world.
Between the Teno and the Utsjoki river, there is an old hotel very popular between Norwegians and Finns alike, that was built by the Finnish Tourist Association in 1959. The outside look is still the same, but the rooms have been renovated and the hotel is now named Hotel Luossajohka.
The Nature reserve Kevo is located in the municipality. It covers a territory of 712 km2 (275 sq mi) and there is a 63 km (39 mi) long hiking trail. The trail partly follows the edge of the Kevo canyon.
Villages in UtsjokiEdit
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Utsjoki:
The writer Inger-Mari Aikio-Arianaick was born in Utsjoki in 1961.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2017" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.