List of fictional deities(Redirected from List of deities in fiction)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This compilation of lists is organized primarily by media type then by title of the fiction work, series, franchise or author. At the end there is a miscellaneous list.
Multiple media franchisesEdit
- The Universal Pokémon:
- Arceus: The creator of the universe; created Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, as well as Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, and, supposedly, the entire Pokémon world. It is capable of manipulating spacetime and all forms of matter.
- Dialga: The Pokémon which began the flow of time in Sinnoh-region mythology. Possesses the ability to manipulate time.
- Palkia: The Pokémon which began the expansion of space in Sinnoh-region mythology. Possesses the ability to manipulate the four dimensional space.
- Giratina: The Pokémon which created an alternate dimension to balance the world of which Dialga and Palkia have shaped. It possesses the ability to warp physical reality, gravity, and supposedly antimatter. It has two forms; Altered Form (introduced in Diamond and Pearl), and Origin Form (introduced in Platinum), . The creators of the Pokémon franchise have described Giratina and its home world as being personifications of antimatter.
- Uxie: The "Being of Knowledge"; gave beings the gift of intelligence. Possesses the ability to wipe away memories from any living being, but this only happens if it opens its eyes.
- Mesprit: The "Being of Emotion"; gave beings the gift of emotion. Possesses the ability to remove emotions from any living being, rendering them zombielike.
- Azelf: The "Being of Willpower"; gave beings gift of willpower. Possesses the ability to petrify any living being if said being has harmed it.
- The Tao trio:
- The Legendary Birds, or the Winged Mirages:
- Lugia: Guardian of the Sea, and protector of the winged mirages.
- The Legendary Beasts:
- Ho-Oh: Guardian of the Sky, and protector of the legendary beasts.
- The Geographic Pokémon:
- The Legendary Golems:
- The Lunar Pokémon:
- Cresselia: Benevolent symbol of the moon and guardian of dreams, and counterpart of Darkrai. It has the power to dispel nightmares, and is the Sandman of the Pokémon universe.
- Darkrai: Malevolent symbol of darkness and oblivion and counterpart of Cresselia. It has the power to induce and trap people in nightmares, and is most active during the new moon.
- The Kami Pokémon:
- The Lati Twins:
- The Kalos Trio:
- Xerneas: The Legendary Deer of Life. It can bestow eternal life when the horns on its head glow seven different colors. It is also a benevolent force in nature, as it can create forests at will. It is the counterpart to Yveltal.
- Yveltal: The Legendary Bird of Destruction. It can absorb life energy whenever it spreads its appendages, from whomever it pleases. It is the counterpart to Xerneas.
- Zygarde: The Legendary Snake of Order. It is able to take many different forms. These forms are the Cell Form, which, as their name implies, are simply the cells of the creature, Core Form, the mind of Zygarde and monitor of the ecosystem, Zygarde 10% Form, a fast doglike creature, Zygarde 50% Form, who, unlike its Core Form, will actually do something about any danger the environment falls into, and, finally, Zygarde Complete Form, appearing only when the situation is too dire for any other form to stop. In its 50% form, it can also cancel out Xerneas' and Yveltal's special ability to enhance certain attacks.
- Other Pokémon Deities:
- Heatran: The embodiment of the Stark Mountain volcano in the Sinnoh region. Unique among legendary Pokémon in that it has 50/50 chance of being either gender.
Robert E. Howard worksEdit
- Mannanan, son of Lir
- Set, main god of Stygia
- Mitra, main god of Hyboria
Stephen King worksEdit
H. P. Lovecraft worksEdit
- Azathoth The Blind Idiot God
- Yog-Sothoth The Gate and the Key
- Shub-Niggurath The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
- Nyarlathotep The Servitor of the Outer Gods
- Cthulhu The Great, Dread or Priest
- The Emperor-Over-the-Sea: Aslan's father, who rules over all worlds.
- Aslan: the son of the Emperor, and the creator of Narnia, who was executed by Jadis.
- Tash: a demon god of Calormen.
- Azaroth: deity (presumbly female) of night and unmarried maidens.
- Zardeenah: another goddess of night and virgins.
- Bacchus: god of wine and ecstasy, a friend of Silenus and the maenads.
- Silenus: fat god riding on a donkey, tutor of Bacchus.
- Maenads: nymph goddesses that follow Bacchus.
- Satyrs, Fauns, and Centaurs: godlike beings that live in Narnia, relatives of the nymphs and others.
- Tashlan: a fake god created by Shift (Antichrist), said to mean that Tash and Aslan are one, represented by Puzzle the donkey.
Many deities have appeared in Supernatural, and some other characters have been deified, such as Lucifer. The angel Castiel also became a deity when absorbing the souls of monsters from Purgatory. The gods in the show include:
- God, the main deity, known just as "God", is the unseen controller of the show's events and the Jewish-Christian god
- Death is an entity of equal rank to God
- Castiel, the ex-angel who ate a million souls and became god
- Eve, a creature who spawned every monster in existence, making her "the Mother" "of All" (Monsters)
- Tricksters, who are powerful demi-gods with the ability to manipulate reality
- Baron Samedi
- Anansi (mentioned only by Bobby Singer)
- Artemis, the god of hunters
- Zao Shen
- Hold Nickur, the Pagan gods of the Winter Solstice
- The Avatars - Beings with tremendous power, they exist outside of time and space
- Barbas - The Demon Of Fear
- Cole Turner - Once a high level half-demon, he became The Source of All Evil, then turned indestructable with a multitude of powers and then an Avatar with infinite powers. After he was finally vanquished, he was sent to "the Void between life and death" as punishment for all his past evil deeds.
- The Elders - Leaders of Whitelighters, Cupids and the forces of Good.
- Gideon - One of the most powerful of the Elders
- The Hollow - An entity considered to be the ultimate power, which consumes all magic, good or bad.
- The Source Of All Evil - Ruler of the underworld and the forces of Evil.
- Shax - An evil personification of air and the Source's assassin
- The Triad - They were one of the most powerful of the upper-level demons
- Zankou - A demon whose power was a threat to The Source
Greek deities, Hindu deities, and many other mythological beings have been adapted into the Charmed version of them. One example of this would be; thousands of years before the main storyline, the Titans once ruled the world, but were abusive of their powers. Seeking to entomb them, the Elders of that time created the Greek gods by infusing mortals with a mystical power beyond their own. Ironically, the self-declared Gods of Mount Olympus would later force the world to worship them too for many years.
- Aphrodite - Goddess of Love
- Ares - God of War
- Callisto - a vengeful warrior who became an immortal, a goddess, a demon, and an angel
- Dahak - an evil and demonic god
- Hercules - the legendary hero, son of Zeus
- Hera - Queen of the Olympian Deities, Goddess of Women and Marriage and sister/wife of Zeus
- Hope - daughter of Dahak and Gabrielle
- Zeus - King of the Olympian Deities, god of Sky and Thunder and brother/husband of Hera
- Gods & Goddesses
- Dark Spector: The Grand Monarch of Evil, and the ruler over those of the United Alliance of Evil.
- Animus: Ancestor of the Wild Force Megazord, and Lord of the Wildzords.
- Loki: Ancient god of mischief and mayhem. Causes the Power Rangers to doubt their allies and turn them against each other.
- Daizyujin: The dinosaur god from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger
- Mythical Qi Beasts (Kidenjū): Ancient god-like animals from Gosei Sentai Dairanger, controlled by the Dai tribe.
- GaoGod: The Power Animal god from Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
- Absolute God N Ma (Zettai Shin N Ma): Main villain of Mahou Sentai Magiranger.
- The Infershia Pantheon (Meifu Jusshin): Various villains in Mahou Sentai Magiranger who serve N Ma.
- The Five Warrior Gods (Gobushin): the lower tier
- Hades God Ifrit (Meifubushin Efurīto): the most fiery spirited member of the Pantheon.
- Hades God Cyclops (Meifubushin Saikuropusu): the best sharp shooter of the Pantheon.
- Hades God Toad (Meifubushin Tōdo): the greatest glutton member of the Pantheon.
- Hades God Wyvern (Meifubushin Waibān): the most arrogant member of the Pantheon.
- Hades God Titan (Meifubushin Titān): the most muscular of the Pantheon.
- The Three Wise Gods (Sankenshin): the middle tier
- The Underground Hades Infershia Two Ultimate Gods (Nikyokushin): the highest tier
- The Five Warrior Gods (Gobushin): the lower tier
The DC Universe simultaneously adapts every aspect of theology into its mythos, from Greek to Norse to even atheism and various fictional religions. Examples of gods featured in its narrative include:
- Ares (DC Comics) - The Greek God of War
- Darkseid - worshipped as the God of Evil
- Hercules - Demi-god and son of Zeus
- Imperiex - the embodiment of Entropy
- The Presence - Supreme being of the DCU
- Rao - (Personification of the red sun of Krypton)
- The Source - Semideistic, "absolute infinite" referenced by the New Gods
- Vext - "Patron deity of mishap and misfortune."
- Lords of Chaos and Order, opposed groups of god-like energy beings locked in eternal struggle
- Onimar Synn, a god-like entity worshiped by a militaristic death cult on Thanagar
- Ion - a symbiotic willpower entity, born from the emotional spectrum
- Parallax - the embodiment of fear, born from the emotional spectrum
- Nekron - a personification of death and "Lord of the Unliving"
- Cosmic Entities
- Goddesses and Gods of DC
- One-Above-All - The supreme being of the Marvel Universe
- The Living Tribunal - serves directly under the supreme being
- The Cosmic Compass - Death, Eternity, Oblivion and Infinity
- Master Order and Lord Chaos
- Mistress Love and Sire Hate
- Galactus - Devourer of Worlds
- In-Betweener - an incarnation of balance
- The Stranger
- Abraxas - the embodiment of destruction
- Thanos - the most powerful of the Titanian Eternals
- The Magus - former ruler of the Universal Church of Truth
- Cosmic Entities
- Gods & Goddesses of Marvel
- Chrono, Ere, Ex
- Lord of Terror
- The Almighty
- Zorc Necrophades.
- Exodia The Forbidden One.
Video and tabletop gamesEdit
Dungeons & Dragons game seriesEdit
- Amaterasu Goddess of the Sun, creator and mother to all deities in the Japanese mythology, is the main playable character in the game.
The world of RuneQuest, created by Greg Stafford, was one of the first to bring myths, cults and religions to become major plot themes, rather than plot devices, in a fantasy setting. It is also very diverse in that it features 13 main pantheons and "arrays" of deities, and numbers some 250 single or small groups of divine aspects.
- The Elder God - The main antagonist of the Legacy of Kain series. Immortal, omnipresent and omniscient this ancient being claims to be the power behind the "Wheel of Fate"; a cycle of birth, death and rebirth.
- Kain - as the Scion of Balance Kain is the only being capable of harming the Elder God. After having gained and evolved numerous powers and abilities over the centuries, as well as adding that with his role as Balance guardian, which provides all the magic that the position grants; Kain is one of the most powerful beings in Nosgoth; having far surpassed the power of any ordinary Vampire.
- Raziel - is a wraith; champion to the Hylden & Vampire races and destined to be the spirit of the Soul Reaver sword. His ability of Free Will makes him completely unpredictable by all beings who can observe time; even the Elder God can't see or anticipate what his next move will be. His other ability makes him virtually indestructible/ immortal and keeps him from returning to the cycle of the Wheel of Fate. Nosgoths destiny hangs largely on the choices Raziel makes, constantly making him the focus of most, if not all of the forces around him.
Various characters are described as gods or deities in The Legend of Zelda series. While the three primary gods of Hyrule are its three creator goddesses (Din, Farore and Nayru) as worshipped by Hylians, Dekus, Gorons and Zoras alike, there are other guardian spirits on Earth such as The Great Deku Tree, Lord Jabu-Jabu (or Jabun) and Valoo who act in a divine, planetary guardian role and are worshiped as deities. Operating in a similar protective role of the planet are the Light Spirits, Ordona, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru. Other characters such as Zephos and Cyclos, while clearly demonstrating godlike abilities, have not had their place in the pantheon of Hylian gods and spirits clearly established. The major gods are channeled through various sages and oracles, the oracles carrying names in likeness of their gods. Separate from the rest of the species and races of Hyrule, the Gerudo worship a fourth sand goddess, although it is unclear whether or not she actually exists.
Alternate worlds such as Termina seem to carry their own pantheon of gods, such as its creator gods, The Four Giants and "The Fierce Deity". Foreign lands seem to also have gods or spirits protecting them separately, such as the Maku Tree of Labrynna and Maku Tree of Holodrum. The Wind Fish is another deity of power enough to create an entire living world within his sleeping mind. In addition to these, several central villains of the series who did not start life as gods have either achieved the status, power or at least belief in themselves as such later in their character histories, including Ganondorf, Vaati and Majora.
- Farore, goddess of courage
- Nayru, goddess of wisdom
- Din, goddess of power
- Hylia, a benevolent demiurge
- Fierce Deity
- Chaos - referred to as the God of Destruction.
- Solaris - referred to as the God of Light, and the main antagonist of Sonic 06.
- Dark Gaia - referred to as a hyper-energy organism, the main antagonist of Sonic Unleashed.
- Light Gaia - counterpart to Dark Gaia of Sonic Unleashed and helper and partner of Sonic; nicknamed "Chip" by Sonic.
- Ares - Greek God of War. He wants the sword Soul Edge for himself and has sent his servant to retrieve it
- Ogre - God of Fighting
- Althena, Lucia, and Zophar, from the Lunar Series
- Calypso is an ancient mythological sea goddess in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series that was bound to human form by the Brethren Court (a court of pirates from across the world). Whilst in human form her name was Tia Dalma. She was later released by Captain Barbossa.
- The Childlike Empress from The Neverending Story
- The Creator and Shai'tan from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
- Frith the rabbit deity in Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Gozer (and its servants Zuul, Vins Clortho, and Azetlor) from Ghostbusters (film)
- Ka Anor, from the Everworld novel series
- Koenma form the Yu Yu Hakusho manga series
- Palutena the Goddess of Light
- Shardik, the bear believed to be a deity in Richard Adams's novel of the same name
- Spirit of the Abyss