List of Baltimore Ravens head coaches
There have been three head coaches in the history of the Baltimore Ravens football franchise. The Ravens joined the American Football Conference (AFC) of the National Football League (NFL) after former Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell decided to relocate the team to Baltimore. However, as part of an agreement between Modell, the NFL and the city of Cleveland, Modell left the Browns' name, colors and history in Cleveland. He was, however, allowed to take his players and front-office staff to Baltimore. For this reason, the Ravens are reckoned as a 1996 expansion team. The Browns were later reactivated in 1999.
Modell had planned to bring Bill Belichick to Baltimore as coach, but was fired February 14, 1996. Modell hired Ted Marchibroda on February 15, as the first head coach of the Ravens franchise in 1996. Marchibroda had previously coached the Baltimore Colts in the 1970s and the Indianapolis Colts in the 1990s. After three seasons, his contract was not renewed. Brian Billick succeeded him after accepting a six-year coaching contract from Modell. Billick went on to lead the Ravens to four playoff appearances in his nine years as coach. In 2000, he led the Ravens to a 34–7 victory in Super Bowl XXXV against the New York Giants. On December 31, 2007, Billick was fired by Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, after leading the Ravens to a 5–11 record in the 2007 season. Less than three weeks later, the Ravens hired John Harbaugh as the franchise's third head coach. Harbaugh reached the playoffs in each of his first five seasons in charge, with the team's appearance in Super Bowl XLVII being the most prominent; the Ravens ultimately won the game 34–31 against the San Francisco 49ers, coached by Jim Harbaugh, John's younger brother.
|#||Number of coaches[N 1]|
|First||First season coached|
|Last||Last season coached|
|Win%||Win – Loss percentage|
|*||Spent entire NFL head coaching career with the Ravens|
Note: Statistics are correct the end of the 2018 NFL season.
|#||Name||Term[N 2]||Regular season||Playoffs||Accomplishments||Ref.|
|2||Brian Billick*||9||1999||2007||144||80||64||0||.556||8||5||3|| 1 Super Bowl Championship (XXXV)
1 AFC Championship (2000)
2 AFC North Championships (2003, 2006)
4 Playoff Berths
|3||John Harbaugh*||11||2008||present||176||104||72||0||.591||16||10||6|| 1 Super Bowl Championship (XLVII)
1 AFC Championship (2012)
3 AFC North Championships (2011, 2012, 2018)
7 Playoff Berths
- A running total of the number of coaches of the Ravens. Thus, any coach who has two or more separate terms as head coach is only counted once.
- Each year is linked to an article about that particular NFL season.
- Sandomir, Richard (1996-02-10). "N.F.L. Gives Modell a Ticket to Baltimore". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Baltimore Football History". Baltimore Ravens. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Ravens settle for Harbaugh as their new coach". Associated Press. 2008-01-18. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Ted Marchibroda Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks". Sports-Reference. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Brian Billick Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks". Sports-Reference. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "John Harbaugh Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks". Sports-Reference. Retrieved 2008-12-10.