1952 (age 65–66)
Queens, New York, U.S.
Schwarzbaum is featured in For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism describing the importance and impact of two women critics, Molly Haskell and Janet Maslin, and also recalling the effect on her as a child watching the Joseph Losey film The Boy with Green Hair. The film shows that Schwarzbaum played viola and started out writing about music.
Her career began in Boston, where she reviewed classical music for The Real Paper and wrote for The Boston Globe. She has also written for the New York Daily News The New York Times Magazine, Vogue, and Redbook. She is a member of the National Society of Film Critics.
In her final column for Entertainment Weekly, she wrote,
I've spent 22 years at Entertainment Weekly, 19 of them as a critic—a glorious tenure that ends with this issue. ... I once received an effing cool email from Josh Brolin telling me, and I quote, "You can f---ing write!" and promising to be in my movie. Not that I have any plans whatsoever to write a screenplay ... (my plans include a book, an online project, speaking engagements about popular culture—oh, and a dog!)
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa (April 20, 2015). "Fashion's hot new age : grande dames are redefining beauty with their senior chic". The Culture. Style. Time (South Pacific ed.). 185 (14): 42–44.
- "Breaking Movie News and Scoops | Movie Reviews | Inside Movies | EW.com". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Entertainment Weekly
- Busis, Hillary. "Lisa Schwarzbaum's 10 best movies of the decade | Inside Movies | EW.com". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa (2013-02-19). "Lisa Schwarzbaum on loving movies, being a critic, engaging with you, and the beauty of agreeing to disagree". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa (1988-12-25). "American Diva Italian Style - The New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa (12 November 2010). "Stage review: The Pee-wee Herman Show". CNN. Archived from the original on 24 November 2010. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism (2009) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- "Lisa Schwarzbaum". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- The New York Times Magazine
- Schwarzbaum, Lisa (February 22, 2013). "For the Love of Movies". Entertainment Weekly. New York: Time Inc.: 56–57.