Lisa J. Fauci (born September 21, 1960) is an American mathematician who applies computational fluid dynamics to biological processes such as sperm motility and phytoplankton dynamics. More generally, her research interests include numerical analysis, scientific computing, and mathematical biology. She is the Pendergraft Nola Lee Haynes Professor of Mathematics at Tulane University, and president of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Lisa J. Fauci
September 21, 1960
Brooklyn, New York
|Alma mater||Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at New York University|
|Awards||Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2012)|
Sonia Kovalevsky Lecturer (2016)
Fellow of the American Physical Society (2018)
Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2020)
|Doctoral advisor||Charles S. Peskin|
Fauci was born in Brooklyn, New York. She did her undergraduate studies at Pace University, where she was encouraged to continue in mathematics by her mentor there, Michael Bernkopf. After earning a B.S. in mathematics in 1981, she went on to graduate studies at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University, completing a master's degree in 1984 and her doctorate in 1986, under the supervision of Charles S. Peskin.
In 2012 Fauci became a fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics "for contributions to computational biofluid dynamics and applications." In 2016 she was selected as the annual Sonia Kovalevsky Lecturer by the Association for Women in Mathematics. In 2018, she because a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
In 2019 Fauci was elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). She was elected as a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society in the 2020 Class, for "contributions to computational fluid dynamics and applications, and for service to the applied mathematical community".
- "Speaker biography: Lisa Fauci", 8th International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Beijing, China, August 2015, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Faculty by Research Interests, Tulane University Mathematics Department, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- "Leadership". SIAM. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- Lisa Fauci bio, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- "Q&A with the ANZIAM 2014 Female Plenary Speakers", ANZIAM 2014, Rotorua, New Zealand, Australian and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Curriculum vitae: Lisa J. Fauci, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Lisa Fauci at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- SIAM Fellows: Class of 2012, retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Lisa Fauci to be AWM-SIAM Sonia Kovalevsky Lecturer, Association for Women in Mathematics, March 28, 2015, retrieved 2016-05-01.
- "APS Fellowship". www.aps.org. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "American Association for the Advancement of Science".
- 2020 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2019-11-03