Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition
The Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition is an international music competition for viola players established in 1980 to honor the memory of the English viola virtuoso Lionel Tertis. This triennial event is held at the Erin Arts Centre, Port Erin, Isle of Man. Participants are of any nationality and are under 30 years of age.
Lionel Tertis International Viola CompetitionEdit
|No.||Year||1st Prize||2nd Prize||3rd Prize||Jurists / Notes|
|13||2019||George Caird (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Carol Rodland, Danusha Waskiewicz, Mikhail Zemtsov|
|12||2016||Timothy Ridout||Manuel Vioque-Judde||Wenhong Luo||George Caird (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Wing Ho, Garth Knox, Thomas Riebl|
|11||2013||Ziyu Shen||Kei Tojo|| Matthew Lipman (tie)
Shuangshuang Liu (tie)
|Brian Hawkins (Chairman), Betil Başeğmezler, Yuri Bashmet, Sarah-Jane Bradley, Samuel Rhodes, Jean Sulem, Hong-Mei Xiao|
|10||2010||Milena Pajaro-van de Stadt||Kyoungmin Park||Veit Hertenstein||Christopher Yates (Chairman), Garfield Jackson, Tatjana Masurenko, Hartmut Rohde, Simon Rowland-Jones, Pierre-Henri Xuereb, Su Zhen|
|9||2006||David Kim||Peijun Xu||/ Ewa Grzywna||John Wallace (Chairman), Vladimír Bukač, Michael Kugel, Kenta Matsumi, Hariolf Schlichtig, Roger Tapping|
|8||2003||Yuval Gotlibovich||Maxim Rysanov||Maya Rasooly||John Wallace (Chairman), Atar Arad, Yuri Bashmet, Luigi Alberto Bianchi, Martin Outram, Lars Anders Tomter|
|7||2000||— not awarded —|| Agathe Blondel (tie)
Andrei Oussov (tie)
|Arie Schachter||Howard Snell (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Sally Beamish, Masao Kawasaki, Hartmut Lindemann, Bruno Pasquier, Christopher Wellington |
4th Prize: Rebecca Jones
|6||1997||Roland Glassl||Steve Larson ||Mikhail Bereznitsky||Philip Jones (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Thérèse-Marie Gilissen, Lubomír Malý, Yizhak Schotten, Paul Silverthorne|
|5||1994||Gilad Karni||Kenta Matsumi||Scott Lee||Philip Jones (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Kazuhide Isomura, Michael Kugel, Paul Neubauer, John White|
|4||1991||— not awarded —|| Tomoko Ariu (tie)
Andra Darzins (tie)
|Esther Geldard||Sir David Lumsden (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Harry Danks, Jerzy Kosmala, Milan Škampa|
|3||1988||Hsin-Yun Huang||Jane Atkins||Jean-Eric Soucy||Sir David Lumsden (Chairman), Yuri Bashmet, Harry Danks, Paul Hindmarsch, Thomas Riebl, Emanuel Vardi|
|2||1984||Cynthia Phelps||Paul Coletti||/ Carla-Maria Rodrigues||Lady Evelyn Barbirolli (Chairman), Paul Cropper, Hirofumi Fukai, Alfred Lipka, Donald McInnes, Simon Streatfeild|
|1||1980||Paul Neubauer||/ Kim Kashkashian||— not awarded —||Gerald McDonald (Chairman), Harry Danks, Paul Doktor, Csaba Erdélyi, Piero Farulli, Milan Škampa|
A compulsory work to be performed by all competitors is commissioned (or selected) for each competition.
- 2019 -- Canto for viola solo (2018) by Roxanna Panufnik
- 2016 – fenodyree for viola solo (2015) by Stuart MacRae
- 2013 – 6 Sorano Variants for viola solo (2012) by Peter Maxwell Davies; published by Boosey & Hawkes 
- 2010 – Petite Sonatine 1 for viola solo (2009) by Roger Steptoe; published by Editions BIM 
- 2006 – Darkness Draws In for viola solo, Op. 102 (2005) by David Matthews; published by Faber Music Ltd.
- 2003 – Through a Limbeck for viola solo (2002) by John Woolrich; published by Faber Music Ltd.
- 2000 – Pennillion for viola solo (1998) by Sally Beamish; available through the Scottish Music Centre; This work was selected, not commissioned.
- 1997 – Rondel for viola solo (1996) by Richard Rodney Bennett; published by Novello & Co.
- 1994 – Odd Man Out for viola solo (1994) by Michael Berkeley; published by Oxford University Press
- 1991 – February Sonatina for viola solo (1990) by John McCabe; published by Novello & Co.
- 1988 – Tides of Mananan for viola solo, Op. 64 (1988) by Paul Patterson; published by Josef Weinberger
- 1984 – Concerto for viola and orchestra, Op. 131 (1983) by Wilfred Josephs; published by Mornington Music Ltd. / Novello & Co.
- 1980 – Concerto No. 2 in G major for viola and orchestra (1979) by Gordon Jacob; published by Boosey & Hawkes
- Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition
- White, John (2006). Lionel Tertis The First Great Virtuoso of the Viola, 362-365.
- Erin Arts Centre Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "The Erin Arts Centre :: Tertis Viola Competition". www.erinartscentre.com. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- 2013 work from Boosey & Hawkes
- Roger Steptoe website