Lifetime Movies(Redirected from Lifetime Movie Network)
Lifetime Movies (formerly known as Lifetime Movie Network and by its abbreviation, LMN) is an American pay television network that is owned by A&E Networks, a joint venture between the Disney–ABC Television Group subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company and the Hearst Communications. Lifetime Movies carries movies and exclusive shows aimed at women, especially made for television movies. Many, though not all, of the movies that air on the network are Lifetime originals that were first shown on the flagship Lifetime channel; in turn, the network also premieres original films that are later broadcast on Lifetime. Other made-for-TV movies shown on Lifetime Movies originally aired on broadcast networks.
|Launched||June 29, 1998|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Slogan||For the love of Lifetime Movies|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|DirecTV||Channel 253 (SD/HD)|
|4DTV||Channel 242 (AMC 18)|
|Available on most American cable systems||Channel slots vary|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
As of February 2015, Lifetime Movies is available to approximately 82,031,000 pay television households (70.5% of households with television) in the United States.
The network launched in June 1998 as the Lifetime Movie Network. Variety praised the move as "capitalizing on the expected channel boom from TV’s conversion to digital distribution over the next few years." However, it only reached 3 million of the 70 million pay-television subscribers in the U.S. at the time.
The original format of the network consisted of longer blocks of made-for-television movies with limited commercial interruptions, airing twice a day. As the network grew and as broadcast networks have ceased producing made-for-TV movies, more commercial breaks were added during its film content; gradually, the network also added theatrical film releases to its schedule. The network airs different movies each day, although the movies aired at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET each day are re-aired at 12 a.m. and 2 a.m. (9 p.m. and 11 p.m. PT). The channel was rebranded as LMN in 2006, before reverting to using the full name in mid-2009 as part of Lifetime's attempt to broaden its brand. In 2011, the network had switched back to branding as just LMN.
On April 19, 2009, the broadcast of Natalee Holloway attracted 3.2 million viewers for the network, more than 1 million of which were among the demographic of women aged 18–49, garnering the highest ratings in the network's history at that time. On August 27, 2009, A+E Networks acquired Lifetime Entertainment Services, which was jointly owned by the former's corporate parents The Walt Disney Company and the Hearst Corporation in conjunction with NBCUniversal (which sold its interest to the two other companies in 2011).
On October 13, 2013, the network debuted its first original series, the reality-based murder mystery program Killer Profile. In addition, three series that had previously aired on sister network The Biography Channel – The Haunting Of, I Survived... and Celebrity Ghost Stories – also moved to LMN that year. In March 2014, A+E Networks moved the drama series Those Who Kill to LMN, becoming the first scripted series to air on the network, although it solely moved to LMN to burn off the remaining episodes of the low-rated A&E program. On July 11, 2017, LMN was rebranded as Lifetime Movies.
- "A+E Networks – Life is Entertaining". Aenetworks.com. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "About Lifetime". Lifetime. April 10, 2010. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Lifetime Entertainment Services History. International Directory of Company Histories, Vol. 32. St. James Press, 2000. Hosted on Funding Universe.com. Retrieved on December 4, 2013.
- "New Lifetime Channel to Center on Made-Fors." Variety, November 24, 1997. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Katz, Richard. "Lifetime Exec Exodus." Variety, July 21, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Kissel, Rick (April 20, 2009). "Lifetime Movie scores with 'Holloway". Variety.
- Schneider, Michael (August 27, 2009). "A&E Acquires Lifetime". Variety. Archived from the original on February 24, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- Atkinson, Claire (August 27, 2009). "A&E Networks, Lifetime Merger Completed". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 24, 2013). "LMN Premieres First Original Series 'Killer Profile' on Sunday October 13 at 9 AM". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 25, 2014). "Benched A&E Drama Series 'Those Who Kill' To Air On Sibling LMN". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 26, 2014.