This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lexy Ortega at Dresden 2008 Olympiad
|Born||March 8, 1960|
|FIDE rating||2484 (May 2019)|
|Peak rating||2498 (July 2001)|
As a youth he was a judo champion, but a broken foot incident (1974) abruptly ended his martial arts career. Thereafter he turned completely to chess, and very soon he won the 1978 Cuban junior chess championship (Under-18).
In the year 2000 he was awarded the Grandmaster title from FIDE.
He lives in Rome, is married and has two children.
- 1986: equal 3rd-4th at Yerevan, in a field that included Mikhail Tal, Oleg Romanishin, Yuri Balashov and Lev Psakhis
- 1988: 3rd in the Cuban championship (repeated in 1989)
- 1993: =1st with Sinisa Drazič at Rome (INPS Festival)
- 1994: 1st in Naples; 2nd at Imperia after Sergei Tiviakov
- 1996: 1st at Amantea; wins the 28th Italian Team chess championship with "Circolo Scacchistico Averno" of Naples
- 1997: 1st at Verona.
- 1999: 1st at Padova