Lexikon des Mittelalters
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Lexikon des Mittelalters ("Lexicon of the Middle Ages", LMA, LexMA) is a German encyclopedia on the history and culture of the Middle Ages. Written by authors from all over the world, it comprises more than 36,000 articles in 9 volumes. Historically the works range from the Late Antiquity to about 1500, covering the Byzantine Empire and the Arab world .
The first six volumes were published by Artemis (later Artemis & Winkler), Munich and Zürich; volumes seven through nine by LexMA, Munich. In 2000, an electronic (standalone) edition of the Lexikon was published on CD-ROM by Brepols.
Praise and criticismEdit
The first volume was widely praised upon publication; G.A. Holmes, in The English Historical Review, foresaw that the entire encyclopedia would be "a valuable reference work of a kind which medievalists hitherto lacked." H. Chadwick, in The Journal of Theological Studies, called the lexicon "a necessary and valuable work of reference."  Its coverage of subjects related to Islam was praised, though the same reviewer called the coverage of topics related to Judaism "comparatively modest."
- Holmes, G.A. (1979). "Rev. of Lexikon des Mittelalters". The English Historical Review. Oxford University Press. 94 (371): 440–41. doi:10.1093/ehr/xciv.ccclxxi.440. ISSN 0013-8266. JSTOR 566881.
- Chadwick, H. (Apr 1997). "Rev. of Lexicon des Mittelalters". The Journal of Theological Studies. 48 (1): 304. ISSN 0022-5185.
- Koningsveld, P.Sj. van (Dec 1983). "Rev. of Lexikon des Mittelalters. I: Islam". Numen. Leiden: Brill. 30 (2): 265–68. doi:10.2307/3270066. ISSN 0029-5973. JSTOR 3270066.
- Koningsveld, P.Sj. van (Dec 1990). "Rev. of Lexikon des Mittelalters. II: Judaism". Numen. Leiden: Brill. 37 (2): 277–79. doi:10.2307/3269868. ISSN 0029-5973. JSTOR 3269868.
- Green, Karen; Eileen McIlvaine (March 2008). "Selected Reference Books of 2001/2002" (PDF). College & Research Libraries. Association of College and Research Libraries. 64 (2): 151–62. ISSN 0010-0870. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 5, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Christian Heitzmann: Discussion, in: Information Media for Libraries (IFB) 7(1999) 1/4.
- Review of the CD-ROM edition
- Artikel in GenWiki
|This Germany-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an encyclopedia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|