Leverano (Salentino: Liranu) is a town and comune in the province of Lecce in the southeastern part of the Apulia region of south-east Italy. It is bounded by the comuni of Arnesano, Carmiano, Copertino, Nardò and Veglie.

Comune di Leverano
Church and convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Church and convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Location of Leverano
Leverano is located in Italy
Location of Leverano in Italy
Leverano is located in Apulia
Leverano (Apulia)
Coordinates: 40°17′N 18°5′E / 40.283°N 18.083°E / 40.283; 18.083
ProvinceLecce (LE)
 • MayorMarcello Rolli
 • Total49.5 km2 (19.1 sq mi)
37 m (121 ft)
 (30 September 2017)[2]
 • Total14,283
 • Density290/km2 (750/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+1 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)
Postal code
Dialing code0832
Patron saintSt. Roch
Saint day16 August
WebsiteOfficial website

History edit

Leverano was severely destroyed by the Ostrogoth Totila, it was also destroyed by the Arabs in the 9th century. A tower was later built in 1220 and it protected against pirate raids. The tower is built with Norman architecture.

Leverano DOC edit

The area around Leverano produces both red, white and rose Italian DOC wine, though the region produces vastly more red wine than anything else. The grapes are limited to a harvest yield of 15 tonnes/ha. Red wines must have a finished alcohol level of at least 12% and are composed of at least 65% Negroamaro and up to 35% of the assorted blend of Malvasia, Sangiovese and Montepulciano. White wines must have a minimum alcohol level of at least 11% and be composed by at least 65% Malvasia bianca with Trebbiano and Bombino bianco allowed to make up the remaining 35%.[3]

Twinning edit

References edit

  1. ^ "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
  2. ^ Population from ISTAT
  3. ^ P. Saunders Wine Label Language pg 172 Firefly Books 2004 ISBN 1-55297-720-X

External links edit