Leonforte (Liunforti in sicilian) is an Italian comune with a population of 14,046 in the Province of Enna, Sicily. The town is situated 22 km from Enna, in the centre of the Erean Mountains at 600 metres a.s.l.
|Comune di Leonforte|
|• Mayor||Salvatore Barbera|
|• Total||84.39 km2 (32.58 sq mi)|
|Elevation||603 m (1,978 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Madonna del Carmelo|
|Saint day||August 16|
The ancient settlement of Tabas or Tavaca stood in the approximate location of Leonforte. During the Byzantine period of Sicily, and later under the Muslim Emirate of Sicily, a castle was built with a farmhouse in its vicinity. Irrigation systems were introduced and many mills took advantage of the abundance of water. In 1610 Nicolò Placido Branciforti founded a city, naming it Leonforte in tribute to his family's coat of arms; a lion holding a banner with the motto in fortitudine bracchii tui.
- Chiesa Madre (mother church)
- Capuchin church and convent (mausoleum that houses the sarcophagus of Princess Caterina Branciforte, who died in 1634, and a painting by Pietro Novelli, depicting The Election of Matthias to the Apostolate
- Church of Madonna del Carmelo
- Granfonte (Fountain)
- Palazzo Branciforti
- Castello di Tavi
The economy is largely based on agriculture. In the past century Leonforte has always had an agricultural economy with many labourers. This has made the town a stronghold for the political left. There are a few industries located within an industrial zone. Another important activity is construction work. Leonforte has one of the highest unemployment rates of the province, at 22%. Leonforte is adjacent to the road Strada Statale 121 that connects Enna, Palermo, Nissoria, and Paternò. The train station is located 10 km from the centre of Leonforte.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Giovanni Mazzola, Notizie Storiche sulla vetusta Tavaca e sulla Moderna Leonforte, Tipografia Editrice del Lavoro, 1924
- Domenico Ligresti, Leonforte: un paese nuovo, in «Archivio Storico per la Sicilia Orientale» a. LXXIV, 1978, I pp. 89–118