Leabridge is a ward in the London Borough of Hackney and roughly corresponds to the Lea Bridge district of London, and is distinct from the Lea Bridge ward in the neighbouring London Borough of Waltham Forest. It is part of Hackney North and Stoke Newington constituency. The ward has existed since the creation of the borough on 1 April 1965 and was first used in the 1964 elections.
|Created||1 April 1965|
|Named for||Lea Bridge|
|• Body||Hackney London Borough Council|
|• Total||0.41 sq mi (1.06 km2)|
|• Density||34,000/sq mi (13,000/km2)|
There was a revision of ward boundaries in Hackney in 1978.
There was a revision of ward boundaries in Hackney in 2002. The ward returns three councillors to Hackney London Borough Council, with elections every four years. At the last elections on 6 May 2010, Linda Kelly, Deniz Oguzkanli, and Ian Rathbone, all Labour Party candidates, were returned. Turnout was 55%; with 4,999 votes cast. Rathbone is a former speaker of the borough. Kelly left Labour and joined the Tories on 18 May 2011.
In 2001, Leabridge ward had a total population of 9,863 and was the ward with the fewest residents in Hackney. At the 2011 Census the population had increased to 14,039. This compares with the average ward population within the borough of 10,674.
Hackney wards are redrawn and the ward is abolished from the May 2014 election. Most of the Leabridge ward becomes part of a new ward of Lea Bridge with part in the north going to Springfield. The new ward of Lea Bridge also includes part of the abolished Chatham ward.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-08-22. Retrieved 2014-02-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- London Borough of Hackney (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1977
- Council Elections 2010 results - Leabridge Archived 2012-04-25 at the Wayback Machine (LB Hackney) accessed 11 May 2010
- Hackney councillor Linda Kelly: Why I left Labour for the Tories (Hackney Citizen, 4 June 2011) accessed 12 October 2011
- "Hackney Ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- LB Hackney Borough Profile "1.5 Population density", and table 1.10 "Population by ward, 2001" pp. 20; (LB Hackney, 2006) accessed 6 October 2009