Laura Ludwig (born 13 January 1986) is a German professional beach volleyball player, playing as a defender. Currently forming a pair with compatriot Kira Walkenhorst, she represents Hamburger SV and has won four European championships. She won the gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics. She added another medal, Gold, at the 2016 World Tour Finals in Toronto. In 2017, she and Walkenhorst won the World Championship in Vienna.
Ludwig in May 2008
|Born||13 January 1986|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||70 kg (154 lb)|
|Beach volleyball information|
Initially paired with Jana Köhler, Ludwig won the U18 European Championship and later the U18 World Championship in Pattava Beach (Thailand). After surviving a stroke which nearly ended her career, she bounced back after teaming with a new partner, Sara Goller. Together, Ludwig and Goller became 2006 German champions, won the U23 European Championships in St. Pölten and ended up fourth in the women's European Championships the same year in Den Haag. They continued their line of success in 2007, defending the German title and winning the silver medal in the European Championships in Valencia. Ludwig and Goller ended the 2007 season leading the German women's ranking and placing seventh overall.
She won silver medals at the 2007 and 2009 European beach volleyball championships, and gold medals at the 2008 and 2010 Beach ECH, alongside her former teammate Sara Goller. They competed at the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics, finishing in ninth place in 2008 and reaching the quarterfinals in 2012.
In 2013 Ludwig formed a beach partnership with Kira Walkenhorst. The pairing was successful, with bronze medal finishes at the 2013 and 2014 European beach volleyball championship, and gold medals at the 2015 and 2016 Beach ECH. Ludwig and Walkenhorst won the gold medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics, defeating Brazil's pair of Ágatha and Bárbara in straight sets of 21-18 21-14 in the final.
World tour 2016Edit
Laura competed in the World Tour Finals in Toronto. With teammate Kira they finished 3rd (Last) in Pool-B with 2 losses. In the quarter-final match against Ross and Walsh they won in 3 sets of (21-18, 19-21, 15-11), advancing to the semi-final against Larissa and Talita of Brazil.
Winning against Brazil in straight sets of (21-19, 21-19) the pair advance to the gold medal match. Another Gold medal for the Olympic winners in straight sets of (21-18, 21-16) against the Swiss pair of Zumkehr and Heidrich
Laura Ludwig has confirmed that she will not be competing in at the opening round of the 2017 season in Fort Lauderdale due to a shoulder operation. Ludwig's regular partner Kira Walkenhorst will be temporarily partnering Julia Großner.
Laura's first tournament of the 2017 season after her shoulder operation was the Smart Super Cup in Münster. Alongside regular partner Kira they secured the Gold medal with a 2:0 scoreline ahead of runners up Laboureur & Sude. Ludwig's first international tournament in 2017 was the FIVB World Tour tournament in Rio de Janeiro. After beating Lusson/Jupiter and Juliana/Carol in Pool play and Davidova/Shchypkova in their third match they lost to Pavan/Humana-Paredes to finish the tournament in 5th position.
- Dorfman, Blake (August 6, 2016). "The Toughest Challenges for Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross in Rio". Bleacher Report. Retrieved August 19, 2018.
- Sara Goller/Laura Ludwig, www.dvv.de
- FIVB Player Players Database
- Elimination Matches
- Germans not thinking about the money
- German duo caps off memorable beach volleyball season in Toronto
- Mallon, Thimo. "Kira Walkenhorst und der "einzigartige Moment"" (in German). Archived from the original on 2017-01-18. Retrieved 2017-01-16.
- "Swatch Major Series: Fort Lauderdale Major - List of Teams". Retrieved 16 Jan 2017.
- "Münster (5th May - 7th May 2017)". Ludwig-Walkenhorst.com. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "FIVB World Tour - Rio De Janeiro (4* Event)". Ludwig-Walkenhorst.com. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laura Ludwig.|
- Ludwig/Walkenhorst Site (German language)
- Ludwig/Walkenhorst Site
- Laura Ludwig at the FIVB
- Laura Ludwig at Beach Volleyball Database
- Laura Ludwig @ dvv.de
- London 2012 results at olympic.org