Ladd Tower is a 23-story residential building in downtown Portland, Oregon, completed in early 2009. The construction of Ladd Tower necessitated that the Ladd Carriage House, directly adjacent the construction site, temporarily be moved from its foundation; it returned in October 2008. The building is managed by Holland Residential, which also has commercial space on the ground floor. The main residential tower also shares space on the first through third floors with an adjacent church.
|Address||1300 Park Ave|
|Construction started||Fall 2006|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Ankrom Moisan Architects|
|Main contractor||Opus Carroll LLC|
The tower was originally slated to sell as condominiums. Only 60 of 200 units were presold. In 2007, Opus Northwest converted the project to rental apartments, returning deposits to approximately 60 buyers. The building was redesigned, with shorter ceilings, leaving the overall building height unchanged, but going from 21 to 23 floors. The apartments were smaller, at 332 apartments, versus 189 condos in the original plan.
The original design of the tower put the building flush against the South Park Blocks. A 27-foot setback beginning at the fourth story garnered "unanimous approval from the Portland Design Commission, a dramatic turnaround from icy receptions to two earlier proposals", according to The Oregonian. A local developer called it a "low-ego building".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2008-11-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ladd Tower". Emporis GMBH. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- Rivera, Dylan (March 23, 2007). "Ladd Tower's shift to apartments jibes with national trends". The Oregonian. p. A1.
- "Portland condo project converting to apartments". Associated Press. March 23, 2007.[full citation needed]
- Leeson, Fred (June 21, 2007). "21-story condo tower presto! --turns into 23 stories of flats". The Oregonian. p. Metro09.
- Leeson, Fred (November 6, 2006). "27-foot 'setback' moves Portland high-rise forward". The Oregonian. p. C1.
- O'Brien, Kyle (September 16, 2006). "Ladd Tower will rise above South Park Blocks". The Oregonian.
Media related to Ladd Tower at Wikimedia Commons