Kristian Lavercombe is a Welsh-born actor and singer best known for playing Riff Raff in over 1,000 performances of The Rocky Horror Show. Described by the show's writer Richard O'Brien as "a fantastically talented Riff Raff", Lavercombe's interpretation of the role has variously been described as "deliciously sleazy", "simply perfection" and "consistently the most watchable thing on stage throughout".
Originally from Neath in South Wales and the son of Gerald Lavercombe and Janice M (née Cook), Kristian Lavercombe attended Nayland College and trained at the National Academy of Singing and Dramatic Art in New Zealand; an early role was playing Frank 'n' Furter in Rocky Horror in New Zealand. He has performed as Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Show over 1,000 times including during the International Tour (2010); the Australian Tour (2014–2015); the UK’s 40th Anniversary Tour (2015); during a West End Live Cinema broadcast in 2015 with Richard O’Brien, the show's writer; and in the 2016 UK Tour.
In addition to appearing as Riff Raff he has had leading roles in over 30 professional productions including Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar (2014) for the Auckland Theatre Company and in which he was described as "an authentic musical theatre performer of equally impressive singer-actor ability"; Bobby Strong in Urinetown (2007) for Downstage Theatre of which a reviewer wrote "Kristian Lavercombe as Bobby not only sings and dances better than most leading men but he also does the comedy with style"; Cripple Billy in The Cripple of Inishmaan for The Court Theatre; Puck in Mendelssohn’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream for Christchurch Arts Festival ("As Puck, in semblance of a naughty Welsh faun, Kristian Lavercombe was a ball of energy"); and The Dark Lady in the New Zealand tour of This Holy Fire of Love with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra. In 2018 Lavercombe joined the Australian tour of The Rocky Horror Show as Riff Raff opposite Craig McLachlan as Frank N. Furter.
Lavercombe currently lives in Brixton in London.
- 'Let’s Do the Timewarp Again!' – The Australia Times – 9 June 2015
- 'The Rocky Horror Show: Richard O’Brien’s cult musical turns 40' – Exeunt Magazine (2013)
- Review of The Rocky Horror Show – Low Down Magazine: The definitive Liverpool Listings Guide (2016)
- Musical Review of Richard O'Brien's Rocky Horror Show – Female Arts – 20 April 2016
- Kristian Lavercombe in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916–2005 – Ancestry.com – pay to view
- 'Rocky Horror road from Nelson to the West End for Kristian Lavercombe', Stuff – 21 August 2015
- Biography on Kristian Lavercombe's website
- Lavercombe's biography on the Rocky Horror Show official website
- 'Smells like holy spirit': review of Jesus Christ, Superstar, The New Zealand Herald – 25 October 2014
- Review: Jesus Christ Superstar (Auckland Theatre Company) – Theatre Scenes: The Auckland Theatre Blog – 4 November 2014
- 'Odd But Endearingly Bizarre' – Review of Urinetown, Theatreview – 19 November 2007
- Review of A Midsummer Night's Dream – Theatreview – 25 July 2009