The Khordad 15 (Persian: پانزده خرداد) is an Iranian designed and built surface-to-air missile (SAM) system. The system was unveiled to the public on 9 June 2019 in an address made by Iranian Defence Minister Amir Hatami in Tehran, Iran. The system was developed by the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO). It shall have the capability to detect and intercept fighter jets, stealth targets, unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAV) and cruise missiles. It operates in conjunction with Sayyad-3 missiles. The surface-to-air missile system was developed in order to counter missiles and other aerial threats presented by the presence of extra-regional forces at military bases in countries around Iran. It was unveiled amid escalating tensions with the United States and Europe's failing attempts at upholding its commitments to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
|Talash PAC 3|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Used by|| Iran|
|Designer||Iran Aviation Industries Organization|
|Manufacturer||Iran Aviation Industries Organization|
The Khordad 15 air defense system is named in honor of the 1963 demonstrations in Iran, which according to the Iranian calendar is known as the 15 Khordad uprising. It was a series protests in Iran against the arrest of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini after his denouncement of Iranian Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and Israel. The Shah's regime was taken by surprise by the massive public demonstrations of support and it was these events which established the power of religious opposition to the Shah, and Khomeini as a major political and religious leader.
The Khordad 15 air defense system was designed and is manufactured by the Iran Aviation Industries Organization (IAIO). The system is equipped with a passive electronically scanned array radar and independent launch pads which work in conjunction to detect, intercept and destroy potential threats. The setup of the SAM system includes two military trucks. One with a rotating, rectangular launcher on the bed which contains four missile canisters in two rows of two canisters each but is capable of utilizing only one row of two canisters. Another with a mounted rotating slab-shaped radar antenna.
The Khordad 15 is capable of detecting, intercepting, and destroying six targets simultaneously. The system is capable of detecting fighter jets, cruise missiles and unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAV) from 150 kilometres (93 mi) away and is able to track them within a range of 120 kilometres (75 mi) and the Sayyad-3 missile, used by the SAM system, has a range of 200 kilometres (120 mi). The system can also detect stealth targets from a distance of 85 kilometres (53 mi) and can intercept and destroy them within a range of 45 kilometres (28 mi).
- Dahlgren, Masao (June 10, 2019). "Iran Displays New Khordad 15 Missile Defense System". Missile Threat. Center for Strategic and International Studies. Retrieved 2019-06-29.
- "Iran unveils new Khordad 15 air defense missile system". Army Recognition. June 9, 2019. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- "Iran unveils new advanced missile defense system it says can destroy enemy jets". The Times of Israel. 9 June 2019. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Williams, Sara Elizabeth (June 9, 2019). "Iran unveils new air defence system as it warns Europe to normalise ties". The Telegraph. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- Hosseini, Mir M. "The Iranian History Article :The 15 Khordad Uprising". fouman.com. Retrieved 2019-06-29.
- Moin, Baqer (2000). Khomeini: Life of the Ayatollah. New York City: St. Martin's Press. p. 104. OCLC 255085717.
- "Ayatollah Khomeini Biography". The Biography Channel. Archived from the original on 2006-04-09.
- Peck, Michael (June 11, 2019). "Why Iran's New Anti-Aircraft Missile System Won't Shoot Down an F-35". The National Interest. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- Frantzman, Seth J. (June 10, 2019). "Iran claims to have new air defense system". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- Ahmad Salloum (27 September 2020). "Exclusive: Iran Begins Developing Air Defense Systems in Syria". iranwire.com. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- Farzin Nadimi (24 July 2020). "Iran-Syria Air Defense Pact Could Disrupt Allied Operations". Washington institute for Near East policy. Retrieved 15 May 2022.
- Iran ‘Khordad 15th’ air defense system with Sayyad-3 missile – Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (Farsi), references that the system was designed and manufactured by the IAIO.