Riepl at the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros in 2007
|Born||Cliffwood Beach, New Jersey, United States|
|Origin||New Jersey, United States|
|Genres||Epic music, Orchestral, industrial, electronic, ambient|
|Associated acts||Damage Vault|
Riepl was born in Cliffwood Beach, New Jersey. His interest in music started at the age of six, when he began to play piano and guitar under the instruction of his uncle. In the fourth grade he began studies on the trumpet and piano and that continued throughout his high school years in which he was a member of a variety of bands and orchestras. After high school, he began private independent studies in composition and orchestration at the Village East Conservatory of Music. Following the years at the conservatory and few scoring projects, he attended Mannes College of Music in New York City for further education in composition and orchestration.
Riepl began his career working as an assistant and co-writing partner for Kevin Manthei in the early 2000s. At the time, Cliff Bleszinski, former design director at Epic Games, who was then looking for a different musical sound for the Unreal franchise, played his demo reel. This led him to work on Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Championship 2. In February 2005, Riepl became attached to Gears of War. Initially, he was asked to write the main themes for the game, but after submitting the pieces he had written, Epic liked what he created and signed him on to create the entire score. In March 2007, Riepl recorded the score for the massively multiplayer first-person shooter computer game Huxley, developed by Webzen Games.
In October 2010, Riepl suffered a sudden heart failure and was hospitalized. He had a pump installed in his heart until a donor heart could replace it, and underwent the heart transplant in July 2011. Shortly afterwards, a rare tumor was found on his adrenal gland, which was affecting his blood pressure. He has since made a good recovery.
In addition to his work on the video game industry, Riepl has composed for films and television series, including his recent scores for horror films such as Silent Night, Contracted and Cabin Fever: Patient Zero.
Kevin Riepl has composed music for the following media:
|2005||Sky High||Mike Mitchell||Credited as music programmer|
|2007||Lost Crossing||Eric Blue||N/A|
|2007||Rogue 379||Douglas Choi||N/A|
|2008||Lost Boys: The Tribe||P.J Pesce||N/A|
|2009||Broken August||Marc Pilvinsky||N/A|
|2009||New Hope Manor||Danny LeGare||N/A|
|2010||Broken Moment||Eric Blue||N/A|
|2011||Mama's Baby||Drew Daywalt||N/A|
|2012||The Aggression Scale||Steven C. Miller||N/A|
|2012||Dead Shadows||David Cholewa||N/A|
|2012||The ABCs of Death||Kaare Andrews||N/A|
|2012||Silent Night||Steven C. Miller||N/A|
|2014||Cabin Fever: Patient Zero||Kaare Andrews||N/A|
|2014||The Night Crew||Christian Sesma||N/A|
|2014||Beacon Point||Eric Blue||N/A|
|2015||Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts||Butch Lukic||N/A|
|2015||Grandpa's Psycho||Danny LeGare||Credited as music supervisor|
|2015||Vigilante Diaries||Christian Sesma||N/A|
|2015||Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem||Butch Lukic||N/A|
|2016||Cabin Fever||Travis Z||N/A|
|2016||Get The Girl||Eric England||N/A|
|2016||Batman Unlimited: Mech vs. Mutants||Curt Ceda||N/A|
|2017||Higher Power||Matthew Charles Santoro||N/A|
|2019||Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles||Jake Castorena||N/A|
|2001||Invader Zim||Additional music|
|2003||Xiaolin Showdown||Additional music|
|2004–2006||Brandy & Mr. Whiskers||Co-composer|
|2005–2007||Johnny Test||Main Title Composer / Add. Music|
|2006||Six Degrees||Orchestration / Score Prep.|
|2016||Justice League Action||N/A|
- Vince Chang, Christopher Coleman (2010). "Composer Kevin Riepl - Interview at Tracksounds". Tracksounds. Archived from the original on November 10, 2014. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "Damage Vault - Facebook". Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Ciafardini, Marc (July 22, 2014). "Interview…Composer Kevin Riepl on Scoring 'Cabin Fever: Patient Zero'". goosetalk. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- W. Bat, Joseph (August 18, 2007). "Gears of War - Kevin Repl". Movie Music UK. Archived from the original on August 18, 2007. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Bosier, Jennifer (January 15, 2013). "The Sound of 'Aliens: Colonial Marines,' an Interview with Composer Kevin Riepl". Forbes. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Flak (October 4, 2012). "Maestros of Horror and Sci-Fi Music – Kevin Riepl at NYCC". Epic Games. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Hughes, Sam (May 11, 2016). "Interview With Battleborn And Batman Unlimited Composer Kevin Riepl!". The Sound Architect. Retrieved May 29, 2016.
- Cooke, Emmett (December 31, 2008). "Composer Interview – Kevin Riepl". Filmandgamecomposers. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Greening, Chris (August 14, 2010). "Kevin Riepl Interview: Raw Interactive Scoring". Game Music Online. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Dyar, Amanda (May 8, 2012). "Exclusive Interview: Composer Kevin Riepl Discusses Aliens Colonial Marines and Resistance: Burning Skies". Dread Central. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Spence, D. (November 29, 2006). "Gears of War Composer Interview". IGN. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Goldwasser, Dan (March 19, 2007). "Kevin Riepl Scores a Brave New World of Video Game Music in Huxley". Scoring Sessions. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- Webzen Games (October 4, 2007). "Acclaimed Composer Kevin Riepl Scores Webzen's MMOFPS Huxley". Webzen Games. Archived from the original on August 19, 2014. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Heart transplant patient becomes unexpected ambassador for organ donation". News Medical. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Dyar, Amanda (July 2014). "Exclusive Interview: Kevin Riepl Discusses Cabin Fever: Patient Zero". BCC After Dark. Archived from the original on October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- Jeremy (June 2014). "Interview with Composer... Kevin Riepl". Howlin' Wolf. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "CREDITS". Kevin Riepl Official Website. 2013. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "Kevin Riepl's Bible Game credit as shown on Vargskelethor". Twitch. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Riepl, Kevin (July 17, 2014). "To go along with Vlad being released on Steam, here is some of the music I wrote for the project". Facebook. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Steve Polge confirms Kevin Riepl to be an UT composer". Unreal Tournament Forums. Epic Games. May 11, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- Greening, Chris (October 4, 2014). "Kevin Riepl creates a gritty 80s-inspired fusion score for Bedlam". Game Music Online. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Blue, Eric (May 6, 2014). "BEACON POINT Feature Film - Final Finishing Funds Needed". Kickstarter. Retrieved January 27, 2015.