Keilor East, Victoria
Keilor East is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 16 km north-west of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the Cities of Brimbank and Moonee Valley local government areas. Keilor East recorded a population of 14,514 at the 2016 Census.
|• Density||1,528/km2 (3,957/sq mi)|
|Area||9.5 km2 (3.7 sq mi)|
|Location||16 km (10 mi) from Melbourne|
Keilor East is bounded in the west by the Maribyrnong River in the City of Brimbank, in the north by the Calder Freeway, in the east by Hoffmans Road, and in the south by Buckley Street, Steele Creek and Rose Hill Road.
Keilor East Post Office opened on 1 July 1947. This was renamed Niddrie in 1956, and a new Keilor East office opened in November 1957. Lincolnville Post Office on McFarlane Street opened in 1964 and closed in 1988.
Keilor East was previously located in the former City of Keilor, though now sits partially in the City of Brimbank (west of the Albion-Jacana railway line) and the remainder in the City of Moonee Valley (east of the Albion-Jacana railway line).
Keilor East contains the Milleara Shopping Centre (previously named and still commonly known as Milleara Mall), on the corner of Milleara Road and Buckley Street, as well as the small Centreway Shopping Centre and Dinah Parade shopping strip.
The following bus routes service Keilor East:
- 406 Footscray – Keilor East via Victoria University, Highpoint SC, Avondale Heights (every day). Operated by CDC Melbourne.
- 407 Highpoint SC – Avondale Heights via Milleara Mall SC (Monday to Saturday). Operated by CDC Melbourne.
- 465 Essendon – Keilor Park via Buckley Street, Milleara SC, Keilor East (every day). Operated by Ryan Brothers Bus Service.
- 475 Moonee Ponds – Keilor East via Essendon RS, Niddrie (every day). Operated by Kastoria Bus Lines.
- 903 Altona – Mordialloc via Sunshine RS, Essendon RS, Northland SC, Heidelberg RS, Doncaster Shoppingtown, Box Hill RS, Chadstone SC, (every day). Operated by Transdev Melbourne.
A Keilor East station is a proposed station on proposed Melbourne Airport line. If this line goes ahead it will run along the existing Albion-Jacana railway line from Albion Station, through the suburbs of Sunshine North and Keilor East before branching off towards Melbourne Airport.
Large parts of the suburb are under the flight path of nearby Melbourne Airport which is curfew-free.
Keilor East has a public primary school, Keilor Heights Primary School, St. Peters School, a private primary school, a campus of the public secondary school Essendon Keilor College, and a campus of the private Uniting Church school Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School.
Keilor East had many more schools in the 1980s and 1990s, such as Lincolnville Primary School, Keilor South Primary School and Overland Primary School. Lincolnville and Keilor South merged in 1988 to form Rosehill Park Primary School (on the former Keilor South Primary School site). At the end of 1993, Rosehill Park and Overland were forced to close down by the State Liberal Government of Jeff Kennett, with Keilor Heights absorbing most of their students.
Notable people from Keilor EastEdit
- City of Keilor – Keilor East was previously within this former local government area.