|• Total||28.18 km2 (10.88 sq mi)|
|• Rank||29th of 102|
|Highest elevation||389 m (1,276 ft)|
|• Rank||62nd of 102|
|Lowest elevation||242 m (794 ft)|
|• Rank||51st of 102|
|• Rank||24th of 102|
|• Density||210/km2 (560/sq mi)|
|• Rank||34th of 102|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The history of Kehlen goes back at least to Gallo-Roman period. Celtic tombs have been excavated in nearby Nospelt and a necropolis from the 1st century was discovered in the early 1970s on the Juckelsboesch plateau between Mamer and Kehlen. A beautiful dark blue glass bowl was among the offerings found there.
A monument to the four gods depicting Juno, Minerva, Mercury and Hercules, possibly once the base of a Jupiter Column, was discovered on the heights of Schoenberg at the point where two Roman roads once crossed. The original is now in the National Museum of History and Art but a replica can be seen beside the entrance to the Schoenberg cemetery.
Schoenberg is one of the oldest parishes in Luxembourg. It came under the authority of the St. Maximin's Abbey, Trier, as far back as 1637. The cemetery is classified as a national monument as many of the gravestones are from the beginning of the 16th century.
Until fairly recently, Kehlen was a farming community with a few cottage industries. Today, owing to its proximity to Luxembourg City (about 25 minutes by car outside the city), most of its inhabitants now work in the service sector.
The name Kehlen is said to originate from Callidovilla meaning the villa of Callidus.
Graphs are temporarily unavailable due to technical issues.
Twin towns — sister cities Edit
- Meckenbeuren, Germany
- Bol de verre côtelé from Luxembourg's National Museum of History and Art Archived 2004-11-30 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- G. Thill: Piédestal à quatre divinités de Schoenberg-Kehlen, Hemescht, XXIII, 1971, pp 203-205.
- Mystic Luxembourg, Les Lieux Archived 2009-03-24 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 25 November 2007.
- Commune of Kehlen official site[permanent dead link]. Retrieved 25 November 2007.
- "Population par canton et commune". statistiques.public.lu. Archived from the original on 12 September 2016. Retrieved 11 January 2022.
- "25 Jahre Partnerschaft mit Meckenbeuren" (PDF). kehlen.lu (in German). Kehlen. p. 15. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- Media related to Kehlen (Luxembourg) at Wikimedia Commons