Open main menu

Katembe, also Catembe is an urban center in Mozambique. Located on the Maputo Bay, it is a suburb of Maputo, the national capital.[1] The name also applies to the administrative district, of which the town is the headquarters.

Katembe

Catembe
Katembe is located in Mozambique
Katembe
Katembe
Location in Mozambique
Coordinates: 26°00′18″S 32°33′35″E / 26.00500°S 32.55972°E / -26.00500; 32.55972Coordinates: 26°00′18″S 32°33′35″E / 26.00500°S 32.55972°E / -26.00500; 32.55972
Country Mozambique
Elevation
47 m (154 ft)
Population
 (2018 Estimate)
 • Total25,000
Time zoneUTC+2 (CAT)
Area Code & Prefix(+258) 21-XX-XX-XX
ISO 3166 codeMZ
ClimateAw

Contents

LocationEdit

Katembe is situated on Maputo Bay, on the Indian Ocean, south of where the rivers Tembe, Mbuluzi, Matola and Infulene converge. It is approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi), by road, south of the central business district of Maputo. Prior to the construction of the Maputo–Katembe bridge, the circuitous road route was 136 kilometres (85 mi) long.[2] The geographical coordinates of Katembe are 26°00'18.0"S, 32°33'35.0"E (Latitude:-26.005000; Longitude:32.559722).[3]

OverviewEdit

Katembe is connected to the rest of Maputo, by the Maputo-Katembe Bridge, a 680 metres (2,231 ft) infrastructure development, constructed between June 6, 2014 and 10 November 2018. The bridge cost US$785 million to construct, 90 percent funded by a loan from the Export-Import Bank of China, with the Mozambican government founding the remaining 10 percent.[4]

GeographyEdit

 
A view of the city of Maputo viewed from Katembe

Katembe is located on the south-western side of Maputo Bay, near the Estuário do Espírito Santo where the rivers Tembe, Umbeluzi, Matola and Infulene drain. The bay is 95 kilometres (59 mi) long and 30 kilometres (19 mi) wide. At the extreme east of Katembe and the bay is the island of Inhaca. Katembe is 110 kilometres (68 mi) north of Ponta do Ouro, at the border with South Africa.[5]

Administrative subdivisionsEdit

 
Districts of Maputo

Maputo (of which Katembe is a component), is divided into seven main administrative divisions. Each of these consists of several smaller city quarters or bairros. Katembe is an urban district and is a component of the city of Maputo. Its administrative divisions include Gwachene, Chale, Inguice, Xamissava, and Inkassane.[6]

PopulationEdit

In 2018, the population of Katembe urban district was estimated at approximately 25,000 people, mainly of the Tembe ethnic lineage, who are closely related to the Swazi royal lineage and the Tsonga people of Maputaland, in South Africa.[7]

TransportEdit

Maputo-Katembe Bridge

The iconic twin-tower bridge and connecting roads was constructed by the China Road and Bridge Corporation. It is the longest suspension bridge on the African continent.[4] It is part of a 187 kilometres (116 mi), highway that will directly link the capital city Maputo to the border with South Africa. The bridge is a four-lane dual carriageway with maximum speed design of 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph). Over 20,000 jobs, both full-time and part-time, were created during its construction. As of May 2018, 3,788 Mozambicans were still employed along with 467 Chinese nationals.[8]

Ferries

Ferry boats departing from Maputo to the district of Katembe are available during the week. A ferry can carry approximately 20 vehicles per trip. Some ferries are privately owned, while others are government-owned.[9]

See alsoEdit

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ Macauhub (6 November 2018). "Maputo-Katembe Bridge in Mozambique expected to be used by 4,000 vehicles per day". Macau: Macuhub.com.mo. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  2. ^ Globefeed.com (12 November 2018). "Distance between Maputo, Mozambique and Catembe, Mozambique". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  3. ^ Google (12 November 2018). "Location of Katembe, Mozambique" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  4. ^ a b Vieira, Arnaldo (11 November 2018). "Mozambique opens $785m Chinese built bridge". The East African. Nairobi. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  5. ^ Globefeed.com (12 November 2018). "Distance between Catembe, Mozambique and Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  6. ^ Frey, Adrian (23 March 2018). "Land: Maputo Council "removes natives" to build a school – Catembe". Maputo: Club of Mozambique. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  7. ^ Gallery Hotel (2 October 2018). "Catembe and its Swazi & Maputaland connection". Maputo: Gallery Hotel Mozambique. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  8. ^ Huaxia (13 May 2018). "Backgrounder: Mozambique's Chinese-built Maputo Bridge and Link Roads". Beijing: Xinhua. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
  9. ^ Frey, Adrian (6 April 2017). "New Maputo-Catembe ferry enters service". Maputo: Club of Mozambique. Retrieved 12 November 2018.

External linksEdit