Katalon Studio is an automation testing solution[buzzword] developed by Katalon LLC. The software is built on top of the open-source automation frameworks Selenium, Appium with a specialized IDE interface for web, API, mobile and desktop application testing. Its initial release for internal use was in January 2015. Its first public release was in September 2016. In 2018, the software acquired 9% of market penetration for UI test automation, according to The State of Testing 2018 Report by SmartBear.
|Initial release||January 2015|
7.8 (Beta) / 14 October 2020
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux|
|License||Proprietary - Free|
Katalon Studio provides a dual interchangeable interface for creating test cases: a manual view for the less technical users and a script view gearing toward experienced testers to author automation tests with syntax highlight and intelligent code completion.
Katalon Studio follows the Page Object Model pattern. GUI elements on web, mobile, and desktop apps can be captured using the recording utility and stored into the Object Repository, which is accessible and reusable across different test cases.
Test cases can be structured using test suites with environment variables. Test execution can be parameterized and parallelized using profiles.
From version 7.4.0, users are able to execute test cases from Selenium projects, along with the previous migration from TestNG and JUnit to Katalon Studio.
In version 7.8, users can save team effort while debugging with smart troubleshooting approaches offered via highlight features: Time Capsule, Browser-based Video Recorder, Self-healing and Test Failure Snapshots.
- Windows desktop apps platforms: Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Windows Forms (WinForms), Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), and Classic Windows (Win32)
- Cross-browser testing: Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer (9,10,11), Safari, headless browsers
- Mobile apps: Android and iOS (Native apps and mobile web apps)
- Web services: RESTful and SOAP
Operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, macOS 10.11+, Linux (Ubuntu-based)
Katalon Studio started out as Freeware. In October 2019, Katalon introduced a new product set with proprietary licenses in its seventh release. The new products and licenses include, including Katalon Studio (Free), Katalon Studio Enterprise, and Katalon Runtime Engine, so that teams and projects of various complexities can have a flexible allocation on budget, licensing, and scalability.
Katalon TestOps is a web-based application that provides visualized test data and execution results through charts, graphs, and reports. Its key features include execution grid, advanced reports, monitoring and alert, and AI analytics. Katalon TestOps can be integrated with Jira and other CI/CD tools.
Katalon TestOps was originally released as Katalon Analytics in November 2017. In October 2019, Katalon officially changed the name to Katalon TestOps. It is currently available in beta version.
Katalon Recorder is a browser add-on for recording user's actions in web applications and generating test scripts. Katalon Recorder supports both Chrome and Firefox. Katalon Recorder functions in the same way as Katalon Studio's recording utility, but it can also execute test steps and export test scripts in many languages such as C#, Java, and Python.
Katalium is a framework that provides a blueprint for test automation projects based on Selenium and TestNG. The framework is built to help users who still need to work with TestNG and Selenium to quickly set up test cases.
Katalium Server is a component of the Katalium framework. It is a set of enhancements to improve the user experience with Selenium Grid. Katalium Server can be run as a Standalone (single) server in development mode.
Katalon Store serves as a platform for testers and developers to install add-on products (or ‘plugins’) and add more features and optimize test automation strategies in Katalon Studio. Users can install, manage, rate, and write reviews for plugins.
In Katalon Store, plugins are made available in 3 main categories: Integration, Custom Keywords, and Utilities. Katalon Store also allows users to build and submit their own plugins.
Katalon Studio can be integrated with other software products, including:
- Software development life cycle (SDLC) management: Jira, TestRail, qTest, and TestLink
- CI/CD integration: Jenkins, Bamboo, TeamCity, CircleCI, Azure DevOps, and Travis CI
- Team collaboration: Git, Slack, and Microsoft Teams
- Execution platform support: Selenium, BrowserStack, SauceLabs, LambdaTest, and Kobiton
- Visual testing: Applitools
- "KMS Technology Releases Katalon Studio, Free Intelligent Test Automation Toolset". Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "2018 State of Testing Report | SmartBear". smartbear.com. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- Adams, Ajamo (2018). Stop Coding - Learn to test automate without coding and get that automation testing job.
- "uTest". www.utest.com. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Test Integrations - Katalon Studio - Katalon Documentation". docs.katalon.com. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Katalon Releases Selenium Migration Feature and Demonstrates Maturity With Codeless Testing".
- "Fixing Broken Web Test Objects with Time Capsule".
- "Browser-based Video Recorder".
- "Self-healing Mechanism".
- "Test Failure Snapshots".
- "Importing an External Library Into Your Automation Project in Katalon Studio - DZone DevOps". dzone.com. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "A Structured Evaluation for Selecting a Right Automated Testing Tool". HCMC Software Testing Club. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Creating Test Cases Using Script Mode With Katalon Studio - DZone DevOps". dzone.com. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Best Automation Testing Tools for 2018 - Medium". Medium.com. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "How to Create HTML report in katalon Studio". codebun. 2018-08-08. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- GitHub - katalon-studio/docs, Katalon Studio, 2019-11-14, retrieved 2019-11-15
- Tribbiani, Joey (2017-07-05). "What makes Katalon Studio more powerful than any other Selenium based Frameworks?". Medium. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Katalon Studio 4.6.0 - A major upgrade to the record and playback feature". Katalon Solution. 2017-05-19. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Katalon Studio Hands On Review - How to Solve Common Automation Problems". www.softwaretestinghelp.com. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Methodologies". Katalon.
- ToolsQA, Guest Author (2017-06-13). "Simple Mobile Automation Testing with Katalon Studio". TOOLSQA. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Community, E.-Automation Test (2018-12-10). "Testing REST API & RESTful Web Services using Katalon Studio". Medium. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- Team, Katalon Studio (2017-11-07). "Quick Start: How to set up your first automation test with Katalon Studio". Abode QA. Retrieved 2019-11-15.
- "Katalon Rolls Out First Enterprise Model in New Release". Markets Insider. 2019-10-30. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Katalon Studio 7 is Here!". Katalon. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Katalon TestOps (beta)". Katalon. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "A Makeover for Katalon Brand Identity". katalon.com. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon Recorder (Selenium tests generator)".
- "Katalon Recorder (Selenium IDE alternative)".
- "Katalium - Selenium and TestNG made easy". Visual Studio Marketplace. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Introducing Katalium: Selenium and TestNG Made Easy".
- "Katalium Server - The power-up for Selenium Grid". Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalium Framework". GitHub.
- "Katalium Server". GitHub.
- "Katalon Introduces Store--A Marketplace for Katalon Studio Plugins". benzinga.com. 2019-03-07. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Katalon Store".
- "Integrations". Katalon. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon BDD - Test Automation for Jira". Atlassian Marketplace. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "TestRail Integration". Katalon Store. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Integrating Katalon Studio, a free automated testing solution, with qTest Manager". QASymphony. 2017-08-10. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Integration With Jenkins and Other CI Tools in Katalon Studio". dzone.com. 2017-11-01. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon Studio for Bamboo". Atlassian Marketplace. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon Studio Runner - Plugins". Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon for Azure DevOps - Visual Studio Marketplace". Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Slack Integration". Katalon Store. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Microsoft Teams Integration". Katalon Store. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon Studio with BrowserStack for app testing". browserstack.com. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Katalon and Sauce Labs Collaborate to Deliver Better Automation and Continuous Testing Experience". Markets Insider. 2019-07-09. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "LambdaTest now integrates with Katalon studio to offer seamless testing on 2000+ browser combinations". globenewswire.com. 2019-07-22. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "How to Integrate Katalon Studio With Kobiton". dzone.com. 2017-10-31. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Applitools Integration". Katalon Store. Retrieved 14 November 2019.