Kasturi Shankar (Kannada: ಕಸ್ತೂರಿ ಶಂಕರ್) is an Indian singer who sings mainly in Kannada language. She has recorded few films songs in Malayalam and Tulu languages and many non-film songs in Konkani, Tamil, Sanskrit, Telugu and Hindi.
|Also known as||Kannadada Kogile, Nadamaya Kasturi|
|Born||1 November 1950|
|Genres||Filmi, Sugama Sangeetha, light music, devotional, folk|
Shankar has sung different kind of songs like film, devotional, Bhaavageethe, classical and folk songs. In her 30 years singing career, Kasturi has worked with a variety of music composers, including T. G. Lingappa, M. Ranga Rao, Vijaya Bhaskar, Rajan–Nagendra, Gunasingh, G. K. Venkatesh and others. She has sung many duets with Dr. Rajkumar, Vani Jairam, Dr. P.B. Srinivas, T. M. Soundararajan, Vishnuvardhan, KJY and with SPB. Kasturi Shankar's popular film songs like Sooryana kanthige (for Padmapriya), Sri tulasi daye thoramma (for Jayanthi), Rangena halliyage (for Aarathi), Sri rama bandavne, Raamanu baralilla made her name popular among listeners.
Kasturi Shankar was born in Mysuru on 1 November 1950 to Girijamma and J. C. Shankarappa. her father was a freedom fighter. She studied SSLC and trained classical music for few years. When Kanagal Prabhakar Shastry spotted Kasturi Shankar's talent, gave her a chance to sing in his film, called Bettada gowri. Then she went on to work with many super hit movies of Puttanna Kanagal, KSL Swamy, B. S. Ranga and with many others. Kasturi married to Shankar and they have two children. Now they are residing in Bangalore.
some of her songs are
- "gudi serada mudiyerada" (Bhagyajyothi)
- "sooryana kanthige" (Thaayige takka maga)
- "rangena halliyage" (Bilee hendthi)
- "raamanu baralilla" (Mithileya seetheyaru)
- "sri rama bandavne" (Paduvaralli panavaru)
- "sri tulasi daye thoramma" (Tulasi)
Kasturi Shankar has received many awards for her contribution to music. Few are
- "Kasturi Shankar". Gaana.com. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Listen to full songs - latest Hindi release - Kasturi Shankar - Hits From Kannada Films songs- 2006 - Kasturi Shankar - Hits From Kannada Films 3gp songs". saavn.com. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Mr Jatt. "Sree Tulasi Daye Toramma by Kasturi Shankar Mp3 Punjabi Song Download in High Quality- Mr-Jatt.Com". mr-jatt.com. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Thulasi". chiloka.com. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Ankita M. "Kannada Madhura Geetegalu". madhurageete.blogspot.in. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "The Basavashri awards were presented to Kannada poet Channaveera Kanavi and singer Kasturi Shankar". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2015.