Karbalayi Safikhan Karabakhi (Azerbaijani: Kərbəlayı Səfixan Sultanhüseyn oğlu Qarabaği) (c. 1817 - 1910) was an Azerbaijani architect and one of the representatives of Karabakh architecture schools. Buildings by Kerbalai Sefikhan Karabagi included traditional and romantic elements. Designs of Karabagi, such as those for mosques in Aghdam and Barda, employ simple devices based on Azerbaijani architectural traditions.
Kərbəlayı Səfixan Qarabaği
|Died||25 June 1910 (aged 93)|
|Buildings||Ashaghi Govhar Agha Mosque Yukhari Govhar Agha Mosque|
A characteristic feature of creativity of Karabakhi was rational and skilful use of traditional local architecture. The socket of Yukhari Govhar Agha Mosque built by him in 1883, states in Arabic: "Made by Karbalayi Safikhan Karabakhi. 1301."
The constructed projects by Karabakhi include a mausoleum in Barda (1868), the Agdam Mosque, the Tatar Mosque in Odessa, the Mosque Qarabaghlar in Ashgabat and other civic buildings in Nagorno-Karabakh region.
He is also responsible for creating a single type of mosques with their unique organization of internal space - the division of stone columns on the two-story gallery and the use of domed ceilings in Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Qarabağlı, Rizvan. "Qarabağın qədim məscidləri" (in Azerbaijani). karabakh-doc.azerall.info. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Islamic Art and Architecture / Edited by Jonathan M. Bloom, Sheila Blair.. — Oxford University Press, 2009. — V. II. — P. 238. — ISBN 9780195309911
- "XIX əsrdə memarlığın inkişafı" (in Azerbaijani). Azerbaijan Tourism Portal. Archived from the original on 27 February 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- Rustamov, Intiqam. "Bərdə İmamzadəsi" (in Azerbaijani). ihq.az. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- Salimova, A,T. ВЛИЯНИЕ ХРИСТИАНСТВА НА АРХИТЕКТУРУ АЗЕРБАЙДЖАНА. Azerbaijani University of Architecture and Building (in Russian). bakililar.az.