Mohd Kamal Hassan(Redirected from Kamal Hassan)
Prof. Emeritus Tan Sri Dr. Mohd. Kamal bin Hassan (born 27 October 1942) is a Muslim academic and Islamic scholar, specializing in contemporary Islamic thought, particularly pertaining to the Southeast Asia region. He was the Rector of the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) from 1998 to 2006.
|Yang Berbahagia Prof. Emeritus|
Tan Sri Dr.
Mohd. Kamal Hassan
|3rd Rector of the International Islamic University Malaysia|
5 April 1998 – 31 May 2006
|Preceded by||Prof. Emeritus Dr. Abdul Hamid Abu Sulayman|
|Succeeded by||Prof. Dr. Syed Arabi Idid|
27 October 1942|
Pasir Mas, Kelantan, Japanese Malaya
University of Malaya|
Hassan attended Sultan Ismail School in Kota Bharu. He attained his Bachelor's degree in Islamic studies from University of Malaya (UM) in 1965. He furthered his postgraduate studies in Columbia University, where he obtained the degree of Master of Arts in 1970, Master of Philosophy in 1972 and Doctor of Philosophy in 1975.
He started his academic career at the National University of Malaysia, where he chaired the Department of Usuluddin and Philosophy in 1979 and was later made a full professor. He then joined IIUM, where he founded the Faculty of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in 1983. He succeeded Professor Emeritus Dato' Abdul Hamid Ahmad Abu Sulayman as the third Rector of IIUM on 5 April 1998 and served the office before passing it to Professor Dato' Sri Syed Arabi Syed Abdullah Idid.
To mark his contributions to the country, he was chosen to be a National Academic Figure in 2017. He left IIUM on 30 July 2018 after 42 years of service to Malaysian education, on which IIUM awarded him with the title of Professor Emeritus. Before exiting IIUM, he was a Distinguished Professor at its Centre of Islamisation. He was one of three academicians in Malaysia who was promoted to the rank of Distinguished Professor by the Ministry of Higher Education in 2010.
Honour of MalaysiaEdit
- Ibrahim, Salina (17 April 2001). "UIAM isi harapan ummah". Utusan Malaysia (in Malay). Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Tan Sri Prof. Dr. Mohd. Kamal Hassan – WICULS 2016". World Islamic Countries University Leaders Summit. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Qhairil Eemann, Nor Shayaumil (3 November 2017). "3 cendekiawan terima anugerah Tokoh Akademik Negara" Malay. Berita Harian. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Baharom, Sofian. "Rajah Profesor Ulung Negara". Utusan Online. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- "3 named distinguished professors". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat".