Kaghan Valley (Urdu: وادی کاغان ) is an alpine valley in Mansehra District of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan, attracting tourists from throughout Pakistan. The valley extends 155 kilometres (96 mi) across northern Pakistan, rising from an elevation of 2,134 feet (650 m) to its highest point, the Babusar Pass, at 13,690 feet (4,170 m). Landslides triggered by the devastating 2005 Kashmir earthquake destroyed many passes leading into the valley, though roads have since been largely rebuilt.
|Elevation||2,500 m (8,200 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
Kaghan Valley is located in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in the north of Pakistan, bordering the territories of Gilgit-Baltistan to the north and Azad Jammu and Kashmir to the southeast. The 155-kilometer valley is enveloped by the Lower Himalaya range, resulting in an alpine climate and the prevalence of pine forests and alpine meadows. Alongside the flow of the Kunhar River, the valley features glaciers, crystal-like clear lakes, waterfalls and frosty mountains streams. Kaghan is famous for its scenic beauty and landscapes, resulting in its popularity as a summer resort.
The Kaghan Valley can be reached by road via the towns of Balakot, Abbottabad and Mansehra. In Balakot, buses and other transports can be used to travel to Kaghan. It can also be reached from the capital, Islamabad, and Peshawar by renting a car to Abbottabad. Tourists can then order a taxi or ride other public transports to go to the valley.
Kaghan Valley is always accessible during the summer season (May to September) and closed to visitors during winter. This is because the glaciers block the roads leading to Kaghan Valley during winter, causing the roads to close. These glaciers would melt from February to April. From May to the end of September, the roads and Babusar Pass remain open. In May, the temperature can reach up to 11 °C (52 °F) and stoop as low as 3 °C (37 °F).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kaghan Valley.|
- "Kaghan Valley". tourism.kp.gov.pk. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Alpine-Climate Valley". www.manhoos.com. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Shakirullah, J Ahmad, H Nawaz (2016). Recent Archaeological Exploration of the Upper Kaghan Valley, Mansehra, Pakistan. Annual Conference on South Asia 45
- "Record number of tourists visit Kaghan Valley". www.thenews.com.pk.
- "Length of Valley". www.tourismontheedge.com. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "Elevation of Kaghan Valley". explorepak.wordpress.com. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- The Kashmir Earthquake of October 8, 2005 - Earthquake Engineering 
- "Cold wave rules KP, Fata: Snow, landslides block roads in Kaghan valley". www.thenews.com.pk.
- Planet, Lonely. "Kaghan Valley travel | Karakoram Highway, Pakistan". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Geographical Elements of the Kaghan Valley". Mapping and Documentation of the Cultural Assets of Kaghan Valley, Mansehra (PDF). UNESCO, Islamabad: UNESCO. p. 10. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Kaghan - A Jewel Among Valleys". emergingpakistan.gov.pk. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Kaghan Valley - Wikitravel". wikitravel.org. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Best Time to Visit Kaghan Valley". Tourism.gov.pk. Retrieved 13 August 2018.