KFXS (100.3 FM, "Classic Rock 100.3 The Fox") is a radio station licensed to serve Rapid City, South Dakota. The station is owned by HomeSlice Media Group, LLC. It airs a classic rock music format.
|City||Rapid City, South Dakota|
|Broadcast area||Rapid City, South Dakota|
|Branding||Classic Rock 100.3 The Fox|
|Translator(s)||96.9 K245BD (Spearfish)|
|First air date||1977 (as KGGG-FM)|
October 28, 1994 (as KFXS)
|HAAT||141 meters (463 feet)|
|Former callsigns||KGGG-FM (1977-1994)|
|Owner||HomeSlice Media Group, LLC|
|Sister stations||KBHB, KKLS, KKMK, KOUT, KRCS|
Notable on-air personalities include Stevie Masen (weekdays 11-3) and Gunner (weekdays 3-7) plus syndicated hosts Bob & Tom and VH1 Classic On Tap. The Fox is the exclusive broadcaster of Rapid City Rush AA hockey games.
In May 1999, Triad Broadcasting reached a deal to acquire this station from Brothers Jim and Tom Instad as part of a twelve-station deal valued at a reported $37.8 million.
In July 2006, Schurz Communications Inc. reached an agreement to buy this station from Triad Broadcasting Co. as part of a six-station deal valued at a reported $19 million. Schurz Communications created the Black Hills broadcast division, New Rushmore Radio, now known as Rushmore Media Company, Inc.
Schurz Communications announced on September 14, 2015 that it would exit broadcasting and sell its television and radio stations, including KFXS, to Gray Television for $442.5 million. Though Gray initially intended to keep Schurz' radio stations, on November 2, it announced that HomeSlice Media Group, LLC would acquire KFXS and the other Rushmore Media Company radio stations for $2.2 million; the deal reunited the stations with KBHB and KKLS, which HomeSlice acquired from Schurz in 2014 following its purchase of KOTA-TV. The HomeSlice purchase was consummated on February 15, 2016 at a price of $2.5 million.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Archived from the original on 2010-03-01.
- Holmes, Alisa (1999-05-24). "Changing Hands". Broadcasting & Cable. Archived from the original on 2012-10-19.
- "Deals". Broadcasting & Cable. 2006-07-24.
- "Schurz Communications to sell WSBT and other TV, radio stations". South Bend Tribune. September 14, 2015. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Kuperberg, Jonathan (September 14, 2015). "Gray Acquiring TV, Radio Stations from Schurz for $442.5 Million". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Gray Sells Radio Stations From Schurz Deal". TVNewsCheck. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- Venta, Lance (November 2, 2015). "Gray Television Divests Schurz Clusters To Three Buyers". RadioInsight. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "HomeSlice Group purchases four Rapid City radio stations". Meade County Times-Tribune. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "HomeSlice Media Group purchases four Rapid City radio stations". Rapid City Journal. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- KFXS official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for KFXS
- Radio-Locator information on KFXS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for KFXS
|This article about a radio station in South Dakota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|