Jyrki Jouko Juhani Kasvi (born in Pyhtää, Finland on 6 January 1964) is a Finnish politician. He has been a member of the Finnish Parliament, representing the Green League. In the Parliament, he was most active in the Committee for the Future, which he represented in the European Parliamentary Technology Assessment network (EPTA), related to technology assessment. He was first elected to the Parliament in 2003, re-elected for a second term in 2007, and lost his seat in the election of 2011. He was again elected in 2015 but lost his seat in the 2019 elections. He has also been a member of the city council of Espoo since 1997 and the second vice-president of the International Parliamentarians' Association for Information Technology (IPAIT) since 2004.
|Occupation||Finnish MP representing the Green League|
Kasvi has a Ph.D. in Engineering from the Helsinki University of Technology. He has written several books about computers and information society. Kasvi is married and the couple has a son (b. 1994). Kasvi has been the editor in chief of Kosmoskynä, the magazine of Finnish Science Fiction Writer's Association, a games reviewer in the computer magazine MikroBitti and a columnist in the computer games magazine Pelit, under the pseudonym Wexteen the Wizard. An avid fan of Star Trek, he added a Klingon version of his campaign re-election website in 2007.
Kasvi was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2003. In the course of his treatments, he has had his bladder, spleen and both kidneys removed. In January 2021, Kasvi wrote in his blog that the cancer had spread to his liver, his treatments had been stopped and he has been moved to end-of-life care.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (2003) Knowledge Support in Learning Operative Organisations. HUT Industrial Management and Work and Organisational Psychology Dissertation Series No 2.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (2001) Tekstarimania (Text message mania), Otava.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (2000) Nollia ja ykkösiä - Tarinoita tietokoneista, tietoyhteiskunnasta ja meistä ihmisistä (Zeros and Ones - Stories about Computers, Information Society and us People), Otava.
- Kasvi J.J.J. & Vartiainen M. (eds.) (2000), Organisation muisti - Tieto työn tukena (Memory of the Organisation - Knowledge Supporting Work), Edita.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (1992) PC:n käytön perusteet (Basics of PC use), Sanomaprint, Erikoislehdet.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (1989) Amiga 2, AmigaBasic, Erikoislehdet Oy, Tecnopress.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (1988) Amiga 1, AmigaDOS, Tecnopress Oy.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (1988) Huvia ja hyötyä MSX (Benefit and Fun MSX), Tecnopress Oy.
- Kasvi J.J.J. (1986) Huvia ja hyötyä Commodore 64 (Benefit and Fun Commodore 64), Tecnopress Oy.
Science fiction short stories:
List of public officesEdit
- Member of parliament (2003–2011; 2015–2019)
- Member of Committee for the Future (2003–2011)
- Member of Espoo city council (1997–).
- Chairperson of the Committee for Technical Services of Espoo (2001–2003)
- Chairperson of the Green League city council group of the Espoo city council (2002)
- Member of the Espoo city board (1997–2000)
- Reuters (9 March 2007). "Finnish MP seeks votes in Klingon". Retrieved on 12 March 2007.
- Valtavaara, Marjo (2021-01-30). "Entinen kansanedustaja Jyrki Kasvi kertoo joutuvansa saattohoitoon". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish). Retrieved 2021-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jyrki Kasvi.|