This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2023)
After completing a postgraduate degree, one of the options is to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) program. These Ph.D programs cost money and time. To help a scholar there are many Research Fellowship Schemes in India funded by either a government agency or a private one. Such a scholar pursuing a Ph.D receives a monthly stipend and in some cases an annual contingency grant for 2 to 5 years.
The most relevant of these are:
- Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarship
- Physical Research Laboratory Junior Research Fellowship
- Google PhD Fellowship India Program
- ICHR Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
- ICSSR Doctoral Research Fellowship
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship
- NCERT Doctoral Fellowship for PhD
- Junior Research Fellowship
- CSIR-UGC JRF NET Fellowship
- AICTE Doctoral fellowship (ADF)
- DBT-JRF Fellowship
- FITM – AYUSH Research Fellowship Scheme
- SAARC Agricultural PhD Scholarship
- Swami Vivekananda Single Child Scholarship for Research in Social Science
- ESSO-NCESS Junior Research Fellowship
Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF)Edit
This fellowship was launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development under the supervision of the Central Government of India in the budget 2018-2019. This scholarship scheme provide financial support to the meritorious students of IISc and IIT going for a PhD. Under this scheme, the scholar gets a monthly stipend of ₹70,000 for first-year which is increased to ₹80,000 per month during 4th and 5th year of the program. During the course of the fellowship, researchers are also eligible to a research contingency grant of ₹2 lakh per annum.
Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund ScholarshipEdit
Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarships is another Ph.D scholarship available to Indian and students of Asian countries. The selected candidates are paid ₹18,000 every month to support their tution fees. Contingency grand of ₹15,000 is also paid to these researchers annually.
Physical Research Laboratory Junior Research FellowshipEdit
It is one of the top PhD scholarships in India for postgraduates in the field of physics and astronomy. It is exclusively for PhD research at Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) and provides monthly awards up to ₹35,000 per month.
Google PhD Fellowship India ProgramEdit
This fellowship program is offered by Google for Ph.D scholars in computer science. The Google Ph.D Fellowship India Program also provides a monthly fellowship amount and a contingency expenses. Moreover the scholars are also provided an internship offer at Google.
ICHR Junior Research FellowshipEdit
ICHR Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) are for PhD aspirants of historical studies and are offered by the Indian Council of Historical Research. It offers monthly stipend of ₹17,600 and contingency expenses of ₹16,500 for 2 years.
ICSSR Doctoral Research FellowshipEdit
It is a doctoral fellowship given by Indian Council of Social Science Research of Government of India pursuing Ph.D in social sciences and is registered in a UGC recognized Indian university. The fellowship is ₹20,000 per month for only two years.
Maulana Azad National FellowshipEdit
This fellowship is provided by the Ministry of Minority Affairs of the Government of India. The fellowship is only provided to students from minority communities whose family income is not more than 6 Lakh. Financial assistance of ₹28,000 per month for 5 years is given to pursue higher education such as MPhil and PhD.
NCERT Doctoral Fellowship for Ph.DEdit
This fellowship is given by NCERT to young scholars in any recognized university in India. The NET qualified NCERT doctoral fellows receives ₹25,000 per month for a maximum period of three years. For the candidates who have not qualified for the NET exam, the amount is only ₹23,000 per month.
Junior Research FellowshipEdit
|Developer / administrator||National Testing Agency|
|Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Score / grade range||0–100 (Paper I)|
0–200 (Paper II)
|Score / grade validity||Three years (JRF) Lifetime (for Assistant Professor)|
|Restrictions on attempts||No restriction|
|Countries / regions||India|
|Languages||Mainly English and Hindi|
|Qualification rate||0.6% (2018)|
Who gets JRF certification?Edit
If a candidate takes the UGC NET JRF Exam in a particular subject, then there are 2 cut-offs declared by UGC. One of them is for clearing NET and the other one which is a bit higher than NET is for JRF. The score of JRF is valid only for 3 years whereas the score of NET is valid for the lifetime.
CSIR-UGC JRF NET FellowshipEdit
This is a fully-funded PhD scholarship offered by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for the field of Engineering, Mathematical Sciences, Life Sciences, Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean and Planetary Science, Chemical Sciences, amongst others. Similiar to UGC JRF, the stipend of a JRF selected through CSIR- National Eligibility Test (NET) will be ₹31,000 per month for the first two years and ₹35,000 per month for the next three years. In addition, annual contingent grant of ₹20,000 is also provided.
AICTE Doctoral fellowship (ADF)Edit
ADF or AICTE Doctoral Fellowship, is a research promotion scheme launched by AICTE in 2020. It is the AICTE equivalent to junior research fellowships. The objectives of the ADF scheme are:
- To promote research culture in AICTE approved Institutions.
- To promote collaborative research between Institute and Industries leading to start-ups.
- To nurture talents for technical research.
In 2020 and 2021 as per ADF Guidelines, 339 Nos. of fellowship were granted to 42 Universities in India for the academic year 2020-2021 and 2021 -2022. For the current academic year 20222-2023, fellowships was reduced to 310 Nos in only 35 Universities in India. The University-wise number of fellowship are available in ADF Scheme published Annually during the month of July by AICTE.
The fellowship of ADF Fellows is ₹31,000 per month for the first two years followed by ₹35,000 per month for the third year. house rent allowance (HRA) is also provided to these scholars at the rate of 8%, 16% and 24% as per the Government of India (GoI) norms In addition, Contingency Grant of Rs.15, 000/- per annum is also given to ADF Fellows to meet their miscellaneous expenditures. Even in IIT's and NIT's the fellowship for doing Ph.D is same as UGC, which is Rs 31,000 per month. The highest fellowship for doing Ph.D in India is PMRF- Prime Ministers Research Fellowship. The fellowship for ADF is the only fellowship that includes house rent allowance (HRA), so its the second highest Ph.D Fellowship in India, behind only PMRF- Prime Ministers Research Fellowship. But this fellowship is only available for 3 years whereas other Ph.D fellowships are for 5 years.
List of Universities in India under ADF SchemeEdit
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Anantapur , Andhra Pradesh - 8 Fellowship
- North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology (Deemed to be University) , Arunachal Pradesh - 8 Fellowship
- Assam Science and Technology University, Guwahati , Assam - 5 Fellowship
- Tezpur University, Tezpur , Assam - 11 Fellowship
- Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhillai , Chhattisgarh - 10 Fellowship
- Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur (Chhatisgarh) , Chhattisgarh - 8 Fellowship
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi (Delhi) , Delhi - 8 Fellowship
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi , Delhi - 5 Fellowship
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, (IIIT) Delhi , Delhi - 8 Fellowship
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Central University, New Delhi (Delhi) , Delhi - 8 Fellowship
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi , Delhi - 8 Fellowship
- Gujarat Technological University, Gujarat , Gujarat - 15 Fellowship
- Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar , Haryana - 6 Fellowship
- J. C. Bose University of Science and Technology (YMCA), Faridabad , Haryana - 7 Fellowship
- Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology, Murthal , Haryana - 7 Fellowship
- Jharkhand University of Technology, Ranchi , Jharkhand - 5 Fellowship
- Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi , Karnataka - 10 Fellowship
- APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University, Thiruvananthapuram , Kerala - 10 Fellowship
- Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal , Madhya Pradesh - 10 Fellowship
- Mumbai University, Mumbai , Maharashtra - 6 Fellowship
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur , Maharashtra - 9 Fellowship
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, formerly University of Pune , Maharashtra - 8 Fellowship
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai , Maharashtra - 11 Fellowship
- Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Rourkela , Odisha - 10 Fellowship
- Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology, Burla , Odisha - 8 Fellowship
- Puducherry Technological University, Puducherry , Puducherry - 3 Fellowship
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Punjab Technical University, Bhatinda , Punjab - 5 Fellowship
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engg and Technology (Deemed University) , Punjab - 8 Fellowship
- Anna University, Chennai , Tamil Nadu - 15 Fellowship
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad , Telengana - 10 Fellowship
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad (Telangana) , Telengana - 8 Fellowship
- Tripura University (Central University) , Tripura - 8 Fellowship
- Dr. A. P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow , Uttar Pradesh - 18 Fellowship
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata , West Bengal - 10 Fellowship
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata , West Bengal - 16 Fellowship
This Fellowship is offered by the Government of India for biotechnology scholars who clear clear the biotechnology eligibility test (BET). The fellowship amount of is ₹25,000 per month for the first two years and ₹28,000 for the last three years. In addition house rent allowance (HRA) is also given.
FITM – AYUSH Research Fellowships SchemeEdit
This fellowship is awarded to scholars of age 28 – 35 doing research in the field of AYUSH. Under this scheme, a doctoral fellowship for 2 years and a postdoctoral fellowship for 1 year is provided.
SAARC Agricultural PhD ScholarshipEdit
Swami Vivekananda Single Child Scholarship for Research in Social ScienceEdit
This scholarship is for a single woman pursuing a Ph.D in social sciences in an UGC approved institute/university.
ESSO-NCESS Junior Research FellowshipEdit
This fellowship is for scholars who has passed CSIR-UGC NET exam for JRF and pursuing a Ph.D in areas of earth system sciences.
- "Prime Ministers research Fellowship". www.pmrf.in. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Prime Ministers research Fellowship". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund Scholarship". Krishi Jagran. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Physical Research Laboratory Junior Research Fellowship". Physical Research Laboratory. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Google PhD Fellowship India Program". Bio Tecnika. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "ICHR Junior Research Fellowship". ICHR. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "ICSSR Doctoral Research Fellowship". ICSSR. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Maulana Azad National Fellowship". www.manf.ugc.ac,in. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "NCERT Doctoral Fellowship for Ph.D". Research Notice Board. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- About the NET
- "CSIR-UGC JRF NET Fellowship". CSIR NET. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "AICTE Doctoral Fellowship Provides 339 Scholarships for Students, Stipend Rs 31,000". 10 September 2020.
- "AICTE Doctoral Fellowship (ADF) Scheme: IIIT Delhi invites applications for PhD admissions". India Today.
- skilloutlook (5 April 2022). "Ten IITs Open PhD Admission July 2022 with Institute Fellowships ! Apply Now". SkillOutlook.com. Retrieved 31 January 2023.
- "Seven NITs Open PhD Admission January 2023 with Institute Fellowships". SkillOutlook.com. 26 November 2022.
- "DBT-JRF Fellowship". DBT-JRF. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "FITM – AYUSH Research Fellowships Scheme". www.pfitm.ris,org. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "SAARC Agricultural PhD Scholarship". www.saarctb.org. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "Swami Vivekananda Single Child Scholarship for Research in Social Science". Vikaspedia. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- "ESSO-NCESS Junior Research Fellowship". Buddy 4 Study. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (February 2023)