Journal of Heredity
The Journal of Heredity is a peer-reviewed scientific journal concerned with heredity in a biological sense, covering all aspects of genetics. It is published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the American Genetic Association.
|Edited by||William Murphy|
|American Breeders' Magazine|
|ISO 4||J. Hered.|
The trends in topics that have been published in the journal reflect the history of the discipline of genetics. Early issues included many papers on eugenics, particularly under the editorial leadership of the journal's first two editors-in-chief, Paul Popenoe and R. C. Cook. Emphasis on eugenics in the journal declined throughout the 1940s and 1950s as support for the topic waned in the scientific community and the general public; when Cook's daughter, Barbara Kuhn, took over as editor in 1962 after her father's 40-year service, "...the subject of eugenics was essentially dropped."
Early topics of interest included comparative color inheritance in mammals (as explored in a series of articles that served as precursors to work applying enzyme kinetics to developmental genetics), determination of the number of human chromosomes, genetic histories of a number of types of livestock (including hybridization of cattle with American bison, the discovery of salivary chromosomes in Drosophila, and "A remarkable paper by Prokofyeva-Belgovskaya, pointing out a difference between mother and daughter chromosomes in binucleate cells. This foreshadowed modern work in intestinal tumors in which there are differences between cells containing the template DNA and those with copies."
The following persons have been editor-in-chief of the journal:
The journal publishes articles in the following categories:
- Original Research
- Brief Communications
- Computer Notes
- Letters to the Editor
and on invitation:
- Symposium Articles
Abstracting and indexingEdit
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Crow, J F (2004). "Genetics: Alive and Well. The First Hundred Years as Viewed Through the Pages of the Journal of Heredity. WILHEMINE E. KEY 2003 INVITATIONAL LECTURE". J Hered (95(5):365–374.
- "Master Journal List". Intellectual Property & Science. Clarivate Analytics. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "CAS Source Index". Chemical Abstracts Service. American Chemical Society. Archived from the original on 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Embase Coverage". Embase. Elsevier. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Journal of Heredity". NLM Catalog. National Center for Biotechnology Information. Retrieved 2017-12-25.