Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
The Journal of Clinical Epidemiology is a peer reviewed journal of Epidemiology that promotes the quality of clinical and patient-oriented health services research through the advancement and application of innovative methods of :
- Conducting and presenting primary research;
- Synthesizing research results;
- Disseminating results; and
- Translating results into optimal clinical practice;
- With special attention to the training of new generations of scientists and clinical practice leaders.
|J. Clin. Epidemiol.|
The Journal, published by Elsevier, was previously published as the Journal of Chronic Diseases. The journal was first published in 1955 as a follow-up to Harry S. Truman's 1951 Presidential Task Force on national health concerns and the subsequently written Magnuson Report. This journal aimed to discuss chronic diseases and how they affected all ages, rather than merely the elderly. Furthermore, consistent with the epidemiological transition model, the landscape of the United States' healthcare woes transformed from primarily infectious disease mortality to mortality induced by chronic diseases.
Under the editorial leadership of Alvan Feinstein and Walter O. Spitzer, the title of the journal was changed to the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology with the January 1988 issue. The current editors are André Knottnerus (Professor of General Practice, Netherlands School of Primary Care Research, President of the Scientific Council for Government Policy, Maastricht, The Netherlands) and Peter Tugwell (Professor, Department of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine; Canada Research Chair, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada).
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2013 Impact Factor of 5.478, ranking it 6th out of 160 journals in the category "Public, Environmental & Occupational Health" and 1st out of 85 journals in the category "Health Care Sciences & Services".
-  Journal of Clinical Epidemiology at NLM Database
- "The journal of clinical epidemiology: same wine, new label for the journal of chronic diseases". Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 41: 1–7. doi:10.1016/0895-4356(88)90002-9.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Public, Environmental & Occupational Health". 2013 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2014.