Josh Evans (defensive back)
Joshua N. Evans (born June 5, 1991) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He played college football at the University of Florida, and was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Evans with the Jacksonville Jaguars
|Born:||June 5, 1991|
Irvington, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||198 lb (90 kg)|
|High school:||Irvington (NJ)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 169|
|Career NFL statistics|
Evans attended Irvington High School in Irvington, New Jersey. He played high school football for the Irvington Blue Knights, playing on both offense and defense. He rushed for 1,403 yards and 14 touchdowns, and completed 123 of 190 pass attempts for 1,856 yards and 18 touchdowns. Evans also recorded 78 tackles and seven interceptions on defense during his senior year. Following his senior season, the Star-Ledger recognized him as he Essex County Player of the Year, and he received first-team all-state honors.
Also an standout track & field athlete, Evans competed in hurdles, relays and the jumps, and led Irvington to the New Jersey Group 3 state championship. At the 2008 NJSIAA Group Championships, he took silver in the 110-meter hurdles (13.91 s), placed 9th in the 200-meter dash (22.22 s) and finished 6th in the 400-meter hurdles (55.19 s). He captured the state title in the 55-meter hurdles at the 2009 NJSIAA Meet of Champions, with a PR time of 7.40 seconds. He got a personal-best time of 7.98 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles at the 2009 National Scholastic Indoor Championships, where he took 5th.
Evans accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, and played for coach Urban Meyer and coach Will Muschamp's Florida Gators football teams from 2009 to 2012. He started 24 of 47 games in which he appeared for the Gators during his four-year college career, compiling a total of 154 tackles. As a senior in 2012, he distinguished himself in the Gators' 14–7 win over the Missouri Tigers, leading the team with twelve tackles.
The Jacksonville Jaguars chose Evans in the sixth round, with the 169th overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft. Evans officially signed with the Jaguars on July 18, 2013. Evans finished with 58 tackles as a rookie.
Evans played in all 16 games with 14 starts, recording 90 tackles in his second season.
On September 3, 2016, Evans was released by the Jaguars.
On October 5, 2016, Evans was signed by the Washington Redskins. He was released by the Redskins on October 28, 2016. He was re-signed to a two-year deal on December 28 after Donte Whitner was placed on injured reserve.
Evans was released by the Redskins on August 3, 2017.
- GatorZone.com, Football, 2012 Football Roster, Josh Evans. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Oehser, John (July 18, 2013). "Evans agrees to terms". Jaguars.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Oehser, John (September 3, 2016). "Down to 53: LB Davis, OG Bernadeau released". Jaguars.com.
- Czarda, Stephen (October 5, 2016). "Redskins Sign Safeties Donte Whitner And Josh Evans". Redskins.com.
- Czarda, Stephen (October 28, 2016). "Redskins Sign Mack Brown To Active Roster". Redskins.com.
- Czarda, Stephen (December 28, 2016). "Redskins Sign Josh Evans, Place Donte Whitner Sr. On Injured Reserve". Redskins.com. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Czarda, Stephen (August 3, 2017). "Redskins Sign Safeties Stefan McClure And Tim Scott". Redskins.com.
- Michael Rothstein, Seth Wickersham (June 13, 2019). "Inside the short, unhappy life of the Alliance of American Football". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 12, 2019.